Imperfections

Sometimes when I’m thinking how wise I’ve gotten in my old age, I realize that I’m not very wise but I was just incredibly unwise in my younger years.

Yesterday when I went to get the eggs, I noticed right off that one of the eggs in the egg box was kinda weird.  There were five eggs in there — four looked normal and one looked weird.  Every now and then when a chicken is needing a bit of extra calcium, we’ll get something called a “rubber egg” and it feels like a balloon .. just an egg without a hard shell.  I’ve only gotten a couple of them but I hate it when I reach in there to get eggs and get a surprise.  They also have terrible bathroom manners so I often get other kinds of surprises too!  I’ve learned to look in the egg boxes before sticking my hand in there.

So, I grabbed the four normal eggs and put them in my basket, then went back to carefully pick up the weird egg.  It was hard just like the other eggs  . . nothing was mushy.  There were some guys out working in the back and I showed it to them.  A couple of them have chickens and they thought it was weird too.  In fact, when Vince got home from work, they even told him about the weird egg I had gotten so I guess it made an impression on them too.

Then I figured since Speck had been feeling bad, I’d give him an extra egg.  Truth is . . I didn’t really want to eat it myself.

When I cracked it to cook it, inside it was just like every other egg I get.  Nice, thick yolk .  . clear white . . perfect!

And, I thought . . how many times have we walked into a room and saw 5 or 6 or more (or less) people sitting there.  One may have looked weird and we kinda shunned that person and paid more attention to the normal looking folks.  What’s really “weird” though?  Overweight, terribly underweight, dressed funny, weird hair color?  But “inside”, the weird looking folks might be the most normal of the whole group.

It just kinda hit home with me because in my younger years, I paid so much attention to the “outside”.  How I dressed, what I drove, makeup, house . . and none of that really matters.  It’s what’s on the inside of all of us that counts.  I’ve judged people by their “outside” and I’ve thought that making sure what others saw in me was perfect, then I would be judged as a good person . . when really, the outside doesn’t make a whole lot of difference!  Through the years, I fear I’ve been so incredibly rude to people.

I thought it was funny that I learned a very good lesson from my chickens!  Who would have thought?

Comments

Jane says

Good post, Judy. I cringe thinking about the thoughtless rudeness of my younger days and hope I’m not still unknowingly committing such acts.

pat says

I was raised by my grandmother.

She taught me what matters it’s not the outside of a person it is the inside that counts.

Beauty is only skin deep it’s whats inside that counts.

She raised me on 57 dollars a month no help from my parents and the state help either. I had her and a home.

We had very little but I have a lot now with her knowledge and what she showed me what life is all about. You don’t need everything in life.

I surely miss her too.

By the way, I raised my boys about the same way she raised me and I have two wonderful boys.

Suzanne Smith says

We are never to old to learn and when we have insight to our innerselves it will show to everyone we know by how we act and what we say and hopefully our corner of the world will be a better place , not just for us but for all of those we meet.

Diann Smith says

Judy…you gotta get out of the house and go somewhere…SOON!
    Ha..but I thought your comments on people who look “different” were on the money. In teaching I often found those that looked so were the most interesting to get to know.
    I was pleased to see in a sit and sew w/ my NEW guild recently that all were treated the same and talked to..including myself. I came home entirely happy for that. Lots of newbies who were kind of nervous about the whole thing.

I think eggs like this were softer than normal when they came out, and just hardened funky as they sat. I had a few like this with my Welsummer’s when I had chickens too. Mostly with my older hen I think though.

Lisa says

God uses the simplest and smallest things to teach us big lessons!!! Thanks for sharing that!

Barb M says

Amen to judging others by the outward appearance. We need to look for the good in all people. We are all God’s children.

A great lesson.

I cringe also when I think how I treated my in-laws in years past. If anyone talked about me the way I talked about them behind their backs, I’d just cry and cry. What on earth did I think I was doing, anyway? I broke the 5th commandment over and over and over again.

Sandra Neel Hutchins says

God works in mysterious ways! Your heart was ready to see what he wanted to show you. Good for you for knowing what is really important in life.

I live in Tucson – we have had a good lesson in the last few days on looking at things and people differently. It certainly makes me think differently about people and other things I see and hear. Thanks for sharing – it’s a good topic and thoughts for all of us.

Doe in Mi says

Love this post. God is a great teacher. #6 Lisa is so right on. Isn’t it grand when you pickup on what he’s trying to teach us?

When I taught nursery school we always did a unit on birds. During the unit we would do an experiment placing eggs in various liquids to see how it affected them. The children observed the eggs everyday and made predictions. On the last day of the experiment, they were always amazed when they were allowed to touch the egg that had been soaking in vinegar and the shell would be dissolved and all that would be left to contain the yolk and white would be the membrane.

We would also do a comparison of eggs with different colored shells and predict what the inside would look and taste like. It would segue into a discussion of how no matter what people looked like on the outside, we were all the same on the inside. I wish I would have had your bumpy egg to use for that lesson.

Patricia L. says

One thing about blogs – you often have no idea what the person looks like, their race, religion or political views. You share personal pix but many don’t. Yet you get to know the blogger without the normal visual and mental filters just through their thoughts and some actions.
    We come to know each other wrinkles, bumps and all.
    I enjoy you blog each day, it’s the first one I read.
    Thanks for all the sharing you do!

Ray says

Wonderful post – Good lesson! And, yes, you are very wise – and also a very nice, kind, generous person!!

Dorothy S says

That is funny, Saturday when we had to the store, there was one like that in the carton my daughter was looking at, she did not buy them, I will tell it would have been okay…

lw says

I work in Aerospace, and in any given room 5 of those 6 folks would be considered a little bit “weird.” But I think you’d like most of us anyway.

Judy, I occasionally have an egg that comes out that way. I’m not sure what causes it…I guess when she deposits too much calcium in the shell…like the rubber eggs are not enough?

Great lesson! One that could be well learned when we were kids!
    I was told one time the bumpy eggs are from a respiratory ailment. Was it a bit watery?

What a great analogy! My mother had chickens when I grew up and once in a while we would get a strange looking egg like that or the soft ones without the shells.

One of my girls laid an egg like that not too long after she started laying. It’s a good lesson you’ve put to it. 🙂

Linda H says

Thanks for that story and lesson, Judy. Our culture (US) would push us the other way, focusing on the outside. This is a good reminder.

In years past, I bought eggs from a neighbor. Wonderful eggs! Her children delivered them, driving up the hill on a lawnmower pulling a little cart. Occasionally, we got an egg that looked like it should hatch into a prehistoric animal, but they always tasted good. 🙂

Kathleen says

Well said. One of my daughter’s was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome in 9th grade – kids can be brutal to those that are different. (I’m sure I was one of them in my youth.) As a teacher, I see all sorts of students – some of the ‘different’ ones are the most interesting!

We just talked about this very thing in Bible study last week. We are studying David, and if ever God chose an unlikely person to do His work it was David. God does that all the time all the way through the Bible and you would think we would learn from it! The least likely are sometimes the most interesting, most intelligent, most incredible people. 🙂 blessings, marlene

Growing up in a military family and moving from place to place taught me to be kind to others. I was often the new kid (three times in the second grade alone). I learned early on what it feels like to be “different.” Having to start school in a civilian school was the worst. Starting school at a base school was much, much easier. Other military kids ALL knew what it felt like to be the new kid. I’ve always thought military kids are a special breed. Our days together were numbered and so we just got on with the business of getting aquainted and spending time together. We didn’t waste energy on the “outside stuff.”

Suzy says

You are so right Judy! I can so relate! Sometimes I wish I had the confidence and wisdom of my current age back when I was in my 20s . Ah, youth is wasted on the young as they say. LOL

Anyways, great post and I’m glad Speck if feeling better. Hope he enjoys his egg. 🙂

Nita Mazerac says

My chickens laid eggs like that at times and I usually needed to provide them with the crushed up oyster shells that came in a bag from the feed store.

Peggy says

If you get oyster shell and give it to them along with there feed you won’t have soft shell eggs. Its like calcium for us.

You are right, it shouldn’t matter but unfortunately appearances do matter a lot. Taller people get better jobs and are paid more, the same goes for beautifull people. If you are different from the majority you are at risk to get bullied.