Donut Muffins

Sometimes, when I’m seriously wanting donuts but I’m too lazy to get in the car and drive to the donut shop, or if it’s mid-afternoon and I know the donut shop is sold out of donuts, or if there are workers in the neighborhood who might want a treat, these muffins are easy to make and the ingredients are the things we mostly always have on hand.

This morning, workers got a batch of donut muffins and they were thankful!

Donut Muffins
3/4 c. sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, at room temp
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 T. butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease muffin cups. If using regular size, this recipe will make about a dozen muffins. If using mini muffins, it will make about 2 dozen.

In mixing bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar and egg until light colored. Add the 1/4 cup butter and beat til fluffy.

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg.

Alternately add dry ingredients to butter/sugar mixture, along with milk.

Stir in vanilla and beat til everything is blended.

Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 15 – 20 minutes, depending on size of muffin tin used.

As soon as muffins are done, brush tops with melted butter. Dump 1/2 cup sugar into a large zipper type bag. Add muffins, a couple at a time, and shake to coat with sugar.ย  Cool on wire rack.

Comments

Gwynette in NW Arkansas says

I made a batch of those last Saturday. We call them Fench Doughnuts. I use a fork to roll the whole ‘muffin’ in the butter and then plop it in the bag of sugar. YUMMY!!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas says

P. S.

I bet if something breaks near your house, the ‘fix-it’ guys fight to see is going to work there….. LOL!!!!

Oh seriously… here I am trying to ignore my cravings and think *you are healthy – have a carrot* and I go to read your blog to get happy – and Bam!! Now I want those!!! Your not helping LOL

I’ve just printed the recipe, I’ll have to make some tomorrow (too many other sweets in the house today!). Sounds wonderful, I always want donuts!

those look so yummy!!! Trouble is–I would probably have to eat the whole batch myself! (Did you know you can sew and eat at the same time?)

oh, I just got finished making these and they are WONDERFUL! So easy to make and yummy yummy! I was lazy and just brushed the top with butter and sifted pwd. sugar on top, but I think they are sweet enough with just the tops done! These are going to be a treat for weekend mornings when I don’t have stuff to make a proper breakfast. I always have these ingredients on hand!

I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but those do look good. I have a drop doughnut that I’ve always thought was super quick and easy, but these sound even easier. Yeast are still my favorite but I’m going to have to try these when I have an occasion.

WiAmy says

I just made them! They stuck to the tins when I tried to take them out. Any ideas on what might have happened? I used a nonstick spray to coat the tins before baking. They do taste nice–I think the way they are topped with butter and sugar makes them “doughnut like.” I added some cinnamon to the sugar in the bag before adding the muffins. I will try them again! Thanks for the nice recipe.

VickiT says

I made those after seeing those awhile back on, I THINK, Pioneer Woman’s blog. Then the second time I made them I used my mini muffin tins and my family loved those even more because they were great little ‘pop in your mouth’ sized. When I made them in the larger size the third time though, I rolled them in the butter, then cinnamon/sugar and then again in both to coat with the cinnamon/sugar even more. SO yummy. And SO bad for you too I’m sure. LOL

OMG! I just posted about these and made them last week. What a Great recipe! My husband thinks they taste just like the Little Debbie coffee cakes and as soon as he said that I knew that’s why they seemed so familiar, they do! Such an easy and quick recipe and they are when served warm, they literally melt in your mouth.

Jane

PS: I am almost finished with my UFO#6- I will email you when it is done, DONE!

Suzanne Smith says

OhMy!…I just made these and the smell got my daughter out of bed and there are fewer donuts for lunches tomorrow! You are so right in your recipe but not to leave a wonderful thing alone I might have to try a bit of jam in the middle or rolling them in vanilla sugar or maybe add almond flavour…..

Darlene S says

Now you’ve gone and made me want these NOW and it’s almost 11:30 pm!! I will be dreaming of them all night! Can’t wait to try them. I love warm donuts or really any kind of donuts will do the trick — with a hot cup of tea. I can’t stand it!! I’m off to the kitchen for tea and a dry cookie that I hope I can find somewhere in there! Thanks for the recipe, though. Dar

Michelle F. says

I have made these before and they are fabulous! As I have said before, I am not a cook but even I can do these. Downside is that you can’t stop eating them!

Have I told you lately I love you…..cake donuts are my all time favorite and I won’t buy them cause I never know what’s in them…now I can make my own…xoxo

These muffins look yummy and like a guilty little pleasure. I might have to make these this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

Carol Margrave says

OMG, Judy, You are killing me. These sound so yummy. Yesterday my hubby went to the dr and his AC1 # was high. So I’m trying to be the good wife and control his diet. But…. I want to make these….OH my, What am I to do?

Tizzie says

These look so yummy!!!

My mom bought my daughter a Baby Cakes maker. It’s the coolest thing. Sarah has been making mini cupcakes every weekend since Christmas.

Michele says

I cheat when I make donut muffins – I just sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top before baking and skip the rolling in butter step. Still yummy!

Thanu says

My hubby and kids tried this and they turned out real good. Thanks for such a simple but awesome recipe.

Ann Sandberg says

Since April 2010, my daugther and I have changed our diet so it includes no wheat. It was so hard. However, we both feel so much better.
    Then, this recipe….. Oh, I remembered making them years ago. So, I made them with almond flour, brown rice flour, and sorghum flour. Yummy! I couldn’t believe how well they turned out with no other alterations in the recipe.
    Thank you for reminding me about this recipe.