Multitasking

If I’m knitting plain socks, I can read just a little while knitting but when I’m knitting a pattern, I cannot read and knit, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t try it.  Last night while sitting in the chair with Speck, and spending quality time with Vince (who was in his chair snoring), I was knitting and trying unsuccessfully to read too.  Or maybe I was reading and unsuccessfully knitting.  I cannot do both when I have to count.

When I finish a good book, I have such a hard time getting into another book. Does that happen to you?  But, when I start reading, I don’t want to put it down.  I could listen to books on tape but I really like to read, but I like to knit too and sometimes I just can’t do both at the same time.

The book did get finished last night . . or rather, it was early this morning.  The socks . . not finished yet.  Maybe tonight.

So, what shall I read next?  Any suggestions?  I don’t like scary, murder type stories!

Comments

My daughter suggested a book for me and I LOVED it. The title is awful, “The Bucolic Plague” but I think about you and your interest in animals and cooking etc. and I think you would enjoy it. Author: Josh Kilmer-Purcell. Rural life in upstate N.Y. starting from scratch. It has created a following and, of course, a blog. Great fun and evidently there is a TV show out too.

Cindy Little says

Have you read the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon? I have the last book to read in the series and then I may just start over.

• 2.1

Sherry says

Love, love, love the Outlander series. I have read the entire series, and have listened to it on audio books while driving to and from work, during work (I used to make Longaberger baskets and we were allowed to use our own devices) and since I’ve retired from there, now listen to them in my sewing room. I’m listening to the entire series for the 6th time and every time I hear or read something new. I never reread books except for this series. I heartily recommend it Judy!

i just read a good book. it was a quick read and i really enjoyed it. the name of it was ‘together, a story of shared vision’ by tom sullivan and betty white. it’s the story of a dog and his adventure with a young man who becomes blind. i couldn’t put it down once i started reading it. it was a three dollar book from the dollar store, too! definitely worth your time.

I have several favorite authors. The late Dick Francis is a GREAT writer. His books are must-reads for me, and not extremely violent. Many are based in the arena of horse racing, but all are about self-reliant, determined amateur sleuths. I highly recommend any that you can find. Another favorite is Diana Gabaldan’s Outlander series. They’re a wonderful blend of science fiction, historical fiction and romance. I’ve loved every one. The Harry Potter books are also terrific. I could go on and on about books!

pdudgeon says

why not try
    The Irish Country Doctor” by Patrick Taylor (first book of the series).

it was a New York Times Bestseller, very entertaining, and a lot like “All Creatures Great and Small”–but the patients are human.

And if that’s not enough of a recomendation, there’s recipies in the back of the book!

Kathleen says

I started keeping a list of what I read a few years ago. Here’s some random selections that I liked:
    “Stones from the River”
    “The Ginger Tree”
    “In the Time of the Butterflies”
    “Around the House and In the Garden”
    “A Dog’s Life”
    “Tallgrass”
    “The Guernsy Literary and Potatoe Pie Society”

Linda in NE says

The “House of Hope” series by Neta Jackson is pretty good. It’s an inspirational series but the story is good enough that I could read past the preachy parts. Kind of surprised me since inspirational books aren’t my thing at all. Supense, mystery & thrillers are more my usual style.

Sorry to tell you this but you may not be able to count when knitting AND listen to a book on tape. At least I can’t. I can do things like chain piecing and ironing, etc, but if I have to think or count, I either can’t do what I am trying to do or I’m not paying attention to the story and have to rewind a hundred time….but that is ME.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas says

I love my books on tape. I have an MP3 player in the car and there is always a book in there to catch a few paragraphs on the mile round trip to the post office and the hour long trip to town. I have 3 CD/tape players around the house and usually have a different book in each one. I CAN follow a crochet pattern and listen and I cannot believe how many books I go through every month. I am VERY glad our libraries offer the ‘listening’ books so I can quilt, clean, cook and even pot flowers on the porch without missing a beat. The only time I hold a book is after I go to bed and I usually fall right asleep while reading!!

I’ve been listening to a lot of books about the Amish lately…. Wanda Brunstetter. I like learning about their ‘plain’ life, but wouldn’t want to give my sewing machines or CD players.

Have you read any books by Sandra Dallas? I may or may not have found her here on your blog…I just can’t remember. But I’ve tried to read them all. I do like me a good mystery though so I probably am not the best person to ask if you’re not into them.
    I listen to audiobooks too. I get them from the library on cd or get some that I think I can listen to more than once from audible.com. My boys like to listen to them when they go in the trucks.

Delores says

Jennifer Chiaverini, she writes about quilter’s and she’s got several really great books out. I also love the Outlander series.

Diane Hines says

I am reading “Roses” by Leila Meacham. It is one that is hard to put down, so maybe save that for a day when you have nothing to do. Lol. The “Irish Country Doctor” is also a good book.

Cindy in NC says

I think you’d like “Little Heathens” by Mildred Armstrong Kalish. It’s about her life growing up on her grandparents’ Iowa farm during the Depression. I think you’d find a lot you could relate to.

Next on my list – Helen of Pasadena by Lian Dolan – it is her first book…I’ve listened to her podcast for the last few years and she is very entertaining, so I am really looking forward to the book.

Tammie K. suggested book by Betty White and Tom Sullivan is one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s about 15 years old, but worth looking for esp. for dog lovers. I’ll look for my copy as I won’t part with it permanently.

It is FUN to go back and reread some of the classics like LITTLE WOMEN and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…….since you know the story you can allocate more attention to the knitting. 🙂 I am impressed with the number of socks that you knit!

sao in Midlothian, VA

As a “librarian”, I’d ask you to tell me titles of books that you liked, then recommend titles. Have you read the Cobblestone Quilt Shop books by Marie Bostwick? I’m reading Drew Brees autobiography on my Nook. It’s fun to read because of the Louisiana connection.

I couldn’t do two things at once..not the pattern of the socks and the reading..no way!! love the socks though! and the yarn color!

“The Help”. “The Room”, “The Beach House”, “Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat” are just a few. To find some really good books—cheap-cheap to download to your Kindle, check out: http://dailycheapreads.com/

I also belong to Audible.com and download books to my iPod. Listen while I sew, cook, clean, quilt, garden or whatever, but I’m not actually having to take my eyes off the task at hand. I joined Audible this past year, and I’m more apt to listen to a book now, than read it on my Kindle. Still like to sit and relax and read, but when I have other things to do–audio books are the best!
    Also, our public library offers free downloadable audio books. Not all the most popular titles, but they are getting a lot of new novels recently. Check it out with your library. It requires some software downloads, but works great.

quilterbee says

If you just want some light reading and funny I suggest Janet Evanovich’s books. Start with the first one, One For The Money. They are making the movie soon. It is the Stephanie Plum series and she is a bounty hunter but she isn’t good at the job and usually ends up in some kind of trouble. You will love the Grandmother in this series. You can probably go to Amazon and read the first chapter to see if this book is anything you’d be interested in reading. I’ve read all of them so far. She comes out with one book a year.

• 26.1

Doe in Mi says

Glad to find someone else you loves Stephanie Plum. I’ve read all and waiting for the next. Impatiently! Lots of laughs, fun and interesting characters, love Gramma, she’s hoot. And romance, oh my! Only one gripe the first book of the series was kinda boring and hard to figure out where it was going . But, was worth getting read and on to the next.

• 26.2

Perry says

Evanovitch is the best for a good comedic read. Need to be read in order because of characters involved. For a wonderful romp through early American history read the Sarah Donati series entitled Into the Wilderness. Very well written 5 book series. The Winner by David Baldacci. If you are into “ancient history” and sorcery Robin Hobb’s Assassin’s Apprentice trilogy is really great, as are the other books of his I have read. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (about a dog). This is a start, lol.

Ellie says

I also liked the Patrick Taylor series Irish Country Doctor. In somewhat the same vein the Lumby series by Gail Frazer about a small town in the northwest. Lots of quirky characters and fun.

Nancy says

Hardly any of the books I’ve enjoyed this past year have been mentioned. I seem to lean toward historical novels, but I’ll list my highlights. I also read on my Kindle, like to download free samples, and you can also listen to some Kindle books read to you.

My latest favorites: Cutting For Stone, Sea of Poppies, The Help, The Hangman’s Daughter, Elizabeth Street, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Pillars of the Earth, and especially the Stieg Larrsen trilogy: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, and Girl Who Played with Fire.

• 28.1

Nancy says

Let me add this. I would never have thought about reading the Larrsen triology, but my daughter insisted. Be sure and read them in order. My daughter also warned me that I would not understand or like the first book until I was about 50-100 pages into it. She was right. Once you start, you will not be able to quit reading until you have finished all 3. Everyone I’ve recommended them to agrees with me.

After finishing the series, I then rented the first two books made into movies. They are sub-titled, but oh, so true to the book and thoroughly enjoyed. However, I would never have understood the movie without reading the books.

Enjoy!

• 28.2

Perry says

I agree with you about the Stieg Larrsen trilogy. It is very good and hard to get into. The newest Ken Follett book is not good, but his Pillars of the Earth and the sequel World Without End are very interesting. Diana Gabaldon is the very best and my favorite also.

Tizzie says

I see The Help a couple of times in the comment. I agree!

A friend just recommended Rainwater by Sandra Brown. I’ve put it on my list.

I joined GoodReads. I hooked up with a group called “Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep…What else is there?”

Debbie says

I love the Outlander series but need to read the last book. Janet Evanovich has great fast reads. Who wouldn’t enjoy reading and laughing at the same time. Harry Potter was great also. I tend to love the good vs evil books Lord of the Rings and anything fantasy. I just finished Room by Emma Donoghue. I enjoy the act of reading a book. I’m glad someone else spends quality time with the hubby, aka the snoring buddy.

Judy, you must do this again. I now have so many books I want to read just from those mentioned here. I’m going to start with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc. series. I had already heard raves about them. Great idea adding to all your other interests. What fun for your bloggers!

Eileen Keane says

Hi Judy,
    I like Eileen Goudge, Nora Roberts, Earlene Fowler, Jennifer Chiaverini, Barbara Taylor Bradfor and Janet Evanovich. They are all wonderful writers.
    Have you read “The Time Traveler’s Wife”? Excellent!
    I recently read “Brooklyn: a novel” by Colm Toibin. It’s a little cumbersome but it seemed very true to life.

Caroline says

Hi Judy,
    This post prompted me to reply. I love to read and multitask. I know what you mean about knitting and reading — I try to read while I crochet. So far, I can’t seem to both at once, so I read a little, crochet a lot!!!

Loved all the book suggestions. I’d add Alexander McCall Smith — he has several series that are wonderful. I like the series with Isabel Dalhousie as the main character but others like his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series best! They’re all fun, entertaining and chock full of great stuf!

ruth anne shorter says

Judy, I was recently introduced to the Lamplighter Series by Mark Hamby. These are wonderful books written long ago, but so wonderful that he, that is, Mark, has reissued these books in beautiful bindings. I have signed up to receive 2 each month–A Peep Behind The Scenes by Walton was the first one I read. They are all excellent and when you go to his site you can select the book you want sent each month after reading a synopsis online at the site. I am sure some of these are available free with kindle as they were published prior to (I think it is 1913 or something like that). Since my time is limited I love, love to read good quality books. There are many Christian fiction authors too. Francine Rivers , Redeeming Love is excellent. Also, if you have never had the privilege of reading Frank Peretti books, be in for a life changing experience. I like to read for inspiritation, encouragement, and for enjoyment. You so inspire me.

Love historical fiction, I recommend–These Is My Words, Sarah’s Quilt, The Water and the Blood, The Star Garden all by Nancy E. Turner. Judy you are an inspiration!

Theresa says

Judy, I’m not sure what the libraries in Missouri are like, but when I lived in Michigan my library had an affiliation with the online NetLibrary at http://www.netlibrary.com

I used my library card to make a free account and could download audio books to my computer. it was considered library checkout and was just like checking out books at the library, but was all electronic!

I use audio books to entertain my mind while sewing and knitting….saves from having to hold a book open and follow 2 things with your eyes at once!