That’s What I Get

We don’t eat out much.  In fact, if everyone ate out as seldom as we do, there probably would be few restaurants left in the country.  Nothing wrong with eating out — I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it.  For us, I love to cook and would much prefer to eat at home than most any place else . . except the Thai restaurant in Joplin, or the tuna at Outback or most any sushi restaurant but in our little town, there’s no Thai restaurant and there’s no Outback and sushi . . in this town . . no . . way! And besides all that, eating out just doesn’t fit our budget.  Dang, it’s expensive to eat out . . even at fast food joints.

But, Tuesday night Vince had an eatin’ meatin’ and wasn’t going to be home for dinner.  Our little BBQ restaurant has good baked potatoes.  They open up a big baked potato and put butter, cheese, sour cream, brisket and baked beans . . all in the potato.  They’re almost $9 so you know I don’t even ask for those when Vince is home but Tuesday morning when I woke up, the first thing I thought about  .. after realizing I could sew or quilt all day without stopping to cook . . I thought about getting myself a baked potato.  Then I talked myself out of it.  $9 is just too much to pay for a baked potato.  The place is maybe 1/2 mile from my house and all day I could almost smell that potato and brisket and beans.

Just when it was almost dark, I said to myself . . heck with the $9 . . I’m getting one.

I ate the whole thing . . all the butter, all the cheese, all the sour cream, all the brisket and brisket fat, all the beans.  By midnight, my tummy made me promise never to do it again.

That’s just too much greasy food when I’m not used to eating that much fat . . even though we do eat more butter than most people.  Guess I’ll just have to stick with sushi, huh?

Comments

Chris says

It sounds good, but I would be sick. All the preservatives and the grease. Your taste buds I am sure were happy. Just think $9 could have been a couple fat quarters. LOL Chris

pdudgeon says

i think i’ll stick to my baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. the brisket and beans and cheese would have been my overload.
    Now talk about Hardee’s or Burger King, and i’m first in line!
    those are my “eating out” splurges when i get hungry for a burger.

Joan says

It sounds really good, but—-like you my tummy would have complained like crazy. I do a baked potato with chili and cheese. Usually do this when I have just a bit of chili left over. (my chili isn’t terribly spicy) Bake the potato, cut open, add some butter then the chili and top with some grated cheese. Nuke to melt the cheese and on rare occasion just a dab of sour cream if I need to use it up.

Alicia says

Oh my, my stomach started to churn just looking at the picture. If it only cost $1.00 I would even order it. Too much grease, fat, most likely over salted. I am in the healthy eating category. A plain baked potato with a pat of real butter and no salt suits me just fine. But, if that is your thing, go for it. You deserve a treat once in a while.

Kathie L in MD says

Think I would still go for it, just take a couple of tums before eating and maybe a couple before bed.

I agree, when you have a craving for something, go ahead and indulge once in a while. This indulgence will last you a long time, instead of still thinking about it today, tomorrow, the next day, next week.

Toni in TN says

Go for it, Judy. I just don’t think I could eat that much grease without getting sick.

Omajean says

Oh does that sound good!! I don’t know if it is the weather or not but for the past couple of days I have been wanting a Pasquali’s stromboli steak sandwich. I don’t even know if the chain exists anymore but that was the BEST sandwich!!

Our fair has a baked potato booth called Irish Spud and that is the first place we hit when we go there. A loaded spud cost around $6 and I start to crave them about mid June. The fair is in August. With the parking fee, fair admittance and that makes it one expensive potato but oh so worth it!
    I say good for you for indulging and sorry you had to pay twice. 😉

Dorothy S says

Looked yummy!!!! I used to work at a resturant where all we served was different stuffed baked potatos and pita pocket sandwiches. At home when we make potatos we use cottage cheese instead of sour cream, still yummy! (just a little less fat…lol)

Sometimes you just have to indulge the cravings. I know what you mean about eating greasy stuff. I eat a salad for lunch almost every day and if I detour into frozen pizza or something I don’t usually eat, I regret it…but sometimes you just get hungry for something you know isn’t good for you. Same as with soda…sometimes I just need that ‘fizz’.

lw says

When we were renovating our kitchen, I used to stop by a southern cooking restaurant called “Flossie’s” near my house; the food was amazing and yummy but kind of on the heavy side like your baked potato. I figured out that if I bought a take out meal, that I would have to divide it into two meals and freeze half of it immediately so I wouldn’t keep eating.

I was reading that one of the reasons we may all be craving soda is that the pH is significantly more acid than water, and helps digest our food. As we get older, the pH of our stomachs isn’t as acid. As least now I have an excuse, even though I’m only drinking soda water now.

Oh, we love those potatoes but they do overload a person on grease…so the last time we got a loaded one, and then a plain one, and my husband shared some of the toppings with me. That worked out fine and my stomach was happier!!

Karen B says

I can relate. About a year ago my girlfriend and I went to an old fashioned malt shoppe. We began reminiscing about high school and I guess we thought we could eat like back then too. We ordered cheeseburgers with fried onions, french fries and chocolate malts with whipped cream. Oh man, did I pay for that a few hours later. Lesson learned.

Sounds like the ones I used to get at Luther’s BBQ when we lived in Houston. My favorite was the turkey, though. They call them “Chop Bakers”.

Marie says

Oh, that definately would hit the spot, high and low!!! Maybe if you would have eaten earlier in the day it wouldn’t have been so ucky on you. But, I don’t blame you one bit. Have to splurge once in a while.

Stephanie says

That looks like alot of grease in there, but what scares me far more is the yellow colour- is that actually cheese???