Sunny Side Up

This is a pattern that can be made any size you wish.  The top shown above is 64″ x 82″.  It’s best to make it an odd number of blocks by an odd number of blocks (3 x 5 or 5 x 7) so that you keep a chain block in each corner.  The blocks I made are 9″ finished but could easily be made 12″.  Instructions will be given for 9″ blocks.

These are the two blocks I used:

and

In order to make the chain block, the pieces are cut 1-5/8″ wide instead of a more normal 1-1/2 or 1-3/4″.  Here’s why I did that.  By using that size, the pieces of the chain block don’t meet up with the pieces of the star block so you don’t have to mess with matching all those seams.

Otherwise, you could cut 2″ strips and end up with this size pieces and then you would have to match all these seams!

For the star block, the squares are cut 3-1/2″ and using your preferred method for making quarter square triangles, those need to be 3-1/2″ unfinished or 3″ finished.

For the chain block:

Make four patches using 1-5/8″ cut strips of the dark gold and background (2 per block), the medium gold and background (2 per block) and the dark gold and medium gold (1 per block).

Sew a 1-5/8″ x 2-3/4″ background strip to the left and right side of a dark gold/medium gold four patch.

Sew a 1-5/8″ medium gold square to one end of a 1-5/8″ x 2-3/4″ background strip.  Sew a 1-5/8″ dark gold square to the other end.  Make two of these per block.  Sew those to the top and bottom of the dark gold/medium gold unit.

Sew a 2-3/4″ x 5″ background strip to the left and right side of the unit.

Sew a dark gold four patch to one end of a 2-3/4″ x 5″ background strip. Make 2.   Sew a medium gold to the other end.  Add these to the top and bottom of the unit to complete the block.

For the borders, I first added the gold border, sides first, then top and bottom.  The strips were cut 2″.

Next, I treated the background/gold/background borders as one unit for the sides.  The total will finish at 5″.  One background strip is cut 3-1/2″.  The other is cut 1-1/2″.  The gold strip is cut 1-1/2″.  Sew those strips together and then attach to the sides of the quilt.

This is the EQ drawing of how I did the corners.

To keep from having so many cuts in the gold parts of the corner blocks I cut the pieces so that those pieces above the gold strip are one unit, then the gold strip is one solid piece, and then the strip below the gold strip is sewn together as one unit.

Attach these to the top and bottom of the quilt.  (The piece turned as shown above is the bottom unit.  Flip it around for the top unit.)

For the outer border, the dark gold strips are cut 3-1/2″.

Comments

Becky R says

Thanks for sharing Judy. I am impressed with your system now for downloading or printing the instructions. That is pretty sweet!

Becky R says

Kathie L says

I like your design idea of not having the seams meeting. I’ll try to remember that thought.

What a beautiful pattern – thank you so much. Another one to bookmark for the future! I also LOVE not having to match seams – great design 🙂

Donna in KS says

Thank you, again! Your quilt is just gorgeous! Who would have thought….yellow!! This pattern just may become Granddaughter’s graduation quilt. GOOD JOB (again), JUDY!

Ellie says

Thanks for the great pattern! The idea of not meeting the seams on the star and the chain blocks if a terrific one because it makes life easier and allows the stars to “float” in a space that makes them stand out. Thanks for the pattern.

Joan says

Great idea about altering the size of the chain block pieces to avoid fighting with bulky seams!

It’s beautiful. I love the shades of gold you chose!

I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks and I’ve really been enjoying your blog. Have a great weekend!

I like this quilt even better now that I know more details about the pattern/cutting. I like the yellow, which is not one of my favorite colors for fabric.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sunnyside up is pretty. Thank you so much for the pattern. I’ve designed my monochromatic quilt (bed runner) and a photo fo the eq sketch is on my blog, but I still need to get it cut out and put together. Had some set backs this month but not to worry – I’ll keep working forward. : )
    Hugs and thanks again for sharing your pattern. : )

Regina says

Judy I LOVE you and I know you love me too!!!!! Only someone that loves me would design a pattern that contains two blocks and makes it so the two blocks don’t have seams that need to meet up next to one another!

Thank you!