Hollygrove Scarf is Finished

Whew!  This was a monster first cable project and it’s done and I love it!  If you’re wanting to try a cable project, it isn’t nearly as hard as it looks.  You can find the Hollygrove Scarf pattern here.  Here’s mine fresh off the needles.  I used Madelinetosh Vintage yarn and the color is Scarlet.

This was such a fun scarf, and not difficult at all!  The only difficulty I had was remembering to click my row counter so I didn’t lose track of where I was and where I was going.  I’m kinda used to that though . . not knowing where I’m going!  🙂

I gently washed it and blocked it.

Those blocking wires are evil little critters!  That was torture getting those threaded through so I could block it.

There she is . . all pinned down to dry and then be nice and straight!  Gorgeous . . if I do say so myself.  Before blocking, it measured almost 7″ x 58″.  After blocking, it measures 8″ x 67″ And, I’m going to start another one for a friend using this yarn.

I would like to have it finished by this time next week but somehow . . I doubt that will happen!  Wish me luck and while you’re at it, wish me at least 40 hours in each day!

Comments

Toni in TN says

The scarf is just beautiful. Next you need to go to Barnyards and Backyards for instructions on how to crochet sweaters for the girls! Really!! I thought I would crack up.

Judy, it turned out gorgeous! I have to block my Irish Hiking Scarf…I hadn’t thought about using the fatigue mats from my longarm to lay it out on. What a great use for them now that my machine is down! Can’t wait to see the next one!

Donna in KS says

That is absolutely gorgeous, Judy! I am so anxious to get something on needles but have to finish a crochet baby afghan first or DH will holler at me; besides the baby is already 3 months old! lol I have not done cables in over…..years, when I did a sweater for DH. I hope it comes back to me. Keep tempting us. I think I am starting to hear, “so, if she jumps off a cliff…….”

Linda says

the problem with getting extra hours in the day is that you’ll find too much other stuff to fit in there!
    Scarf is gorgeous

Omajean says

Please let us know how you like using the Knitpicks yarn for the scarf. What you used is beautiful but I try to economize without losing too much quality. I am taking a class right now where we are making a sweater and the amount I spent on the yarn for my sweater was a lot more than I thought it would be–I keep thinking about how much fabric that would have bought!!!

Ohhhhh………. That is a thing of beauty……… I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Knitting is so much fun………..

pdudgeon says

that’s really beautiful! i love that there’s so much texture in the pattern.
    maybe wehn i get a few hundred more yards out of my quilting stash i’ll have the time and space to start knitting again. a girl can only hope!

Ellie says

Love the scarf! Can I be the friend you make the next on for? lol I like the pattern so much I ordered one myself. I haven’t made cables in years but I’m ready to try some.

Missy says

Beautiful! I love the color.

Do you like the wires even though they were hard to thread through the edges? I’ve been thinking about buying some.

That was an ambitious first cable project, but it turned out absolutely gorgeous! Congrats and good luck on getting the second one done by next week.

Denise says

It turned out fantastic. I need to get blocking wires but first I really need to finish the two scarfs on needles waiting to be done.

Gina E says

I order Knit Picks Wool of the Andes all the time but that Hollyberry color made my arms break out while I was knitting it. I think it was the dye so I’m anxious to hear if you have any problems with it.

Beautiful scarf but I never thought of using those ‘puzzle piece’ foam things for blocking! Is this your idea or have other smart people been doing this all along?!

Mel Meister says

That’s a pretty spectacular scarf! The color is outstanding. We don’t have much use for scarves here in Florida or I would make one of those up.

It’s absolutely gorgeous Judy, and dang it I like it so well I ordered the pattern… I really don’t have time to start knitting again! But this would make a fabulous Christmas present for family members! Thank you for sharing it.

Your scarf is lovely and makes me glad that I got that pattern. Now to get busy and knit it! Have some socks to finish first though…..

Marina Louw says

Judy, I love the scarf, it is beautiful! I would also like to where to get the blocking wir – Online if possible.