Stash Report, Week 6 – 2011

Nothing added and nothing substantial to report.  I have a new quilt top started but haven’t gotten far enough to count the fabric yet.  It will get added in next week . . I hope.  My numbers are the same as they were last week.

Used this Week:     5.5 yards
Used year to Date:    32.75 yards
Added this Week:    0
Added Year to Date:    0
Net Used for 2011:    32.75 yards

How did you do this week?  Are you finding it easier to make the stash fabric work for you or, are you yearning for new fabric to add to the stash?

Comments

I really considered getting new fabric, but then decided I need to get a better handle on what I have in my stash. It helps that I haven’t seen anything that fell into the “love it at first site category”!

I didn’t get much done – I will have more to report next week. Thanks for hosting this each week. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The stash report is helping keep me on track – I went in to the quilt shop intending to buy a bunch of fat quarters yesterday, and came away with just the batt I needed for my mystery quilt. I saw a bunch of pretty turquoise and brown fabrics that would make a great teen girl quilt, but decided I would use up some of what I have before I get more.

I can make my stash work for me and the accountability for your stash report certainly helps – a lot! Nevertheless low fabric prices of beautiful material can get me…

Susan Torrens says

I’m plugging along. I have some of the quilting done on my queen pineapple blossom quilt, but not sure what I’ll start next. I’m still stitching redwork blocks and working on the final two applique blocks, then I can begin assembling the applique quilt. I’m thinking about doing an applique border, using the templates from all the blocks, but unfortunately, I don’t have enough of the background fabric, so I’ll have to think that one through……

Only one comment about this little stashbusting business you’ve managed to rope me into……again…..S-I-G-H! Big, loud, ugly S-I-G-H!!

I’ve been working on little projects, BOMs and wall hangings and I’ve been finishing UFOs so I don’t feel I’ve been making much of a dent in my stash. Oh, well, I’ve got all year, right? Thanks, Judy, for this wonderful way to ‘meet’ others who love doing what I do too!

Every time I make a concerted effort to use more stash, I seem to create another UFO–or TWO!

That being said, this was one of my better busting weeks, but if I hadn’t had to unquilt that quilt it might have been even better!

Having a lot of fun reading what others are doing, too

I caved this past week–hugely! I purchased some solid for a quilt along (the rest is pulled from stash) and some linen for a swap project. But I also happened upon an online store closing sale and did some major damage. It filled a few color holes in my stash, though–that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!!

I made an essential addition this week – an extra wide backing that will actually get me to finish a UFO. If I had to piece the backing, it would sit for far too long!

pdudgeon says

still chugging along here.
    do i want more fabric? yes! am i buying more fabric? only what i need, but it surely is hard to pass up yet again what i passed up on getting last year.
    if the fabric gets down to 50% off i just may cave in.

I’ve bought more than I’ve used and I’ve used a lot! But I used up a large part of my stash over the last year, so I feel ok about it. 🙂

It has been easy to shop my stash first! The Violet quilt is one that I have been wanting to do for awhile. This will be a quilt for a good friend! So, I have been collecting purples/violets for quite awhile. It is a bit challenging to know the color first and THEN go look for a pattern. Backwards for me! Thank you for coming up with this great idea!

Darlene S says

This week was better for using my stash. I finished up a UFO top and pulled the backing from stash. I’m on track with doing a UFO per month (so far), since it’s cold and snowy and I can’t get out easily. Now when Spring comes, look out! D
    Here is my Week 6 numbers. Thanks for doing this. It helps me a lot. Dar in MO

Used this Week: 4 yards – border and backing for small UFO
    Used year to Date: 11.5 yards
    Added this Week: 0
    Added Year to Date: 8
    Net Used for 2011: 3.5 yards

This sounds so naive but how do you calculate all of this. I guess you just do the math. I have lots of fabric cut into 2 1/2″ squares, 2″ squares, 1 1/2″ squares…….and UNFORTUNATELY it woud be EASY to calculate ADDED!!!! 🙂 If I can figure out an EASY way to do this, I would like to participate!!!

sao in Midlothian, VA

Bev in NC says

Finally headed in the right direction. May not have much used for next week, will probably only get to sashing and cornerstones this week.

carol c says

36 days and not bought any fabric
    i wanted to yesterday, but just couldnt allow myself to do it
    i have gone longer now than ever without buying fabric
    and even though I found colors I wanted yesterday, there were other things
    I think i want more. Things that are state of the art-lol
    for now that is.

I finished my little quilt for the January challenge, too bad it did not use much fabric. I didn’t have a lot of time for sewing with school and snow storms to shovel this past week. If you remember, I lost a car 2 weeks ago when my hubby crashed it on ice? Well, last wednesday night he fell on the black ice and I have been running him to doctors and for MRI’s for a possible rotator cuff tear.

I NEED SPRING!

Kathy S. says

This week was a quiet one for me as the family has had the stomach bug. Not much of anything else going on in the house. Nobody felt good. We have had a bunch of snow again which doesn’t help either.
    I am getting better about not buying fabric. Although quilt guild needed some before I got sick and I helped pick it out, but it went to someone else house.

I can not believe the amount of fabric I have purchased so far this year. I think all the talk of fabric prices going up has me in the buying mode.

Just update my stash report — I am thrilled to add more fabric, after seeing everyones stash I fel I needed to add not take away