Having All You Need

When Vince called Wednesday to tell me he wasn’t going out of town, I had nothing on the menu for Wednesday night.  There were a couple of dishes in the freezer I could defrost and cook but none of  them sounded good.  I decided on pizza and knew I could find everything I needed in my fridge.  Just a little work and we’d have a top notch pizza for dinner.

Front right – I opened a jar of home canned tomatoes and added spices – oregano, garlic, basil, fennel seed, and anything else in the spice cabinet that looked like it might work.  It simmered for a couple of hours til it was thick.  Then I added just a little bit of brown sugar.

Middle right – Pepperoni

Back – Mozzarella cheese

Middle left – Prosciutto

Front left – Mushrooms and onions which I sauteed in a little olive oil.

For the crust, I used some of the olive oil bread dough in the fridge . . dough from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book.

In no time at all, we had a  yummy pizza.

This was one of those times when I was so glad to have lots of “ingredients” in my fridge.  Even better, I only  used half of all the ingredients so today for lunch, we’ll have another homemade pizza!

Comments

pdudgeon says

yep, it really pays dividends to have a well-stocked kitchen and pantry.
    my kids always loved home made pizza when they were growing up.

And it’s always such a good feeling to use up what’s in the fridge before it turns green or blue!!! Without lots of kids at home any more, I have to make sure that I think of ways to use up the bits and pieces of leftovers! That reminds me- I have a little leftover pot roast in there- think I’ll shred it up for BBQ beef sandwiches for tonight!

yummmmmmm, I’m sure glad I had pizza on the menu for tonight because if I didn’t I would have to go change the menu. 🙂 That looks delicious! I love shopping in the pantry, fridge and freezer.

oh, yum, that looks so good! One of my favorites, but I’ve never had prosciutto – it’s REALLY expensive here – isn’t it like a cross between bacon and ham? I do put bacon on my homemade pizza – hubby says it’s a waste of good bacon to hide it on a pizza though, LOL. He’s not really fond of pizza though (not a cheese fan).

I made my first batch of bread from the Artisian 5 min book. We loved it. I really need to find a pizza board, I tried throwing it off of a rimless cookie sheet. That didn’t work so good.
    I can’t wait to bake more with it! I was suprised the dough had NO sugar what so ever. I used the very first dough recipe in the book.
    Patti

Mel Meister says

The dough looks terrific for that pizza. Guess I’ll have to dig the book out and make that dough. I hadn’t made that one yet. Have you tried freezing it in dough balls for pizza? It’s so easy to have it on hand fresh, that I guess it’s not necessary to freeze.