A Bunch of Triangles

Yesterday I was out of town most of the day and when I got home and couldn’t decide what to do.  I could (1) work on the book but the weekends aren’t great for working on the writing part because I need uninterrupted quiet time and I don’t get much of that on weekends; (2) start a sweater I’m really wanting to knit but same thing . . I would need quiet time to try to figure out what to do; or (3) start a new quilt.  You can see what won out!

I’m using Triangulations™ but if I weren’t, that would be 352 triangles used to make these pieces.  That’s a lot of triangles!  I hope by Monday, I’ll have 116 quarter square triangles made and on my design wall.  Think I can do it?

Comments

Margery says

Judy, when you made all those triangles, did you have a quilt design in mind or will you work that out once they’re on the design wall? I’d find it scary to start sewing without knowing exactly what I’m going to make! (Although I do often change the plan halfway through the project!)

• 1.1

Judy Laquidara says

Oh, yes. I have a plan. I don’t work well without plan, which includes detailed step-by-step instructions.

pat says

Yes, you can do it.

I wish I had that fabric for my hexagon quilt I’m making by hand, those colors would fit right in it.

Beautiful colors.

I think you pretty much finish what you put your mind to, lol. I’ll bet you can do it…I sure wouldn’t bet against you, lol.

How fun that you went ahead and started a new quilt…the colours are so pretty. Can’t wait to see your Monday design wall! Tell Vince to fend for himself in the kitchen this weekend…you’re busy!

Sandy says

So happy to see you chose a quilt. Can’t wait til Monday to see what is up there. And, of course, we KNOW Judy can do it. Thanks for everything you share.

Can’t wait to see what this turns into! I followed your link for the free triangulations runner pattern and was amazed how fast I was able to make it and how nice the triangles were. Now I really want to buy the CD!

patti says

i hate to know how many units i need for a whole quilt, it seems unattainable if i do. i recently made a 9″ block for a raffle quilt and just started cutting the half square triangles, stopping occasionally to sew some together. once the block was done i counted the pieces and there were 97! better to know afterwards than before!

and of course you’ll get it done, as long as no major upset happens. you get so much accomplished in just one day, i can get tired just reading your blog! i’ll wait for monday, i’m anxious to see how it all turns out.

Linda in NE says

Of course you can do it. You’re one of the most prolific quilters I know. Honestly, sometimes I think I have Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder the way I can’t seem to stick with anything long enough to finish. Love the colors of your triangles and can’t wait to see what they turn into.

Love the colors of those triangles! I’m still wondering if there is a secret or something that I’m not aware of to removing all those little papers quickly & neatly off the backs of the triangles?

• 16.1

patti says

i just learned a trick from a fellow quilter last week… kinda hard to describe in text, but if you tear the paper in half from the the top middle to the stitching line and then along the stitching line from the middle to the outside the stress on the thread is negligeable on those outside stitches.

start
      tear >!< here
      ! ! !
      ! ! !
      ! ! !
      ! ! !
      ! ! !
      !________! stitching line

hope this makes sense….

• patti says

that won’t make sense, the computer didn’t put the lines (exclamations points) in the right place. it should look like a triangle (point side up) with a line going down to the stitching line where you then tear the right section towards the right and the left section towards the left. guess they were trying to save space?????

Cindy from CA says

I think that you told us before how Triangulations works. But I can’t find it in the archives. Could you give us a link?

Thanks!
    Cindy

I’m thinking about ordering triangulations and wonder what kind of paper you use. I like the idea of printing my own instead of buying triangles on a roll.