Stash Report – Week 9, 2011

Another week with nothing added!  8.5 yards were used which were:

• 5.50 for the backing for the Quiltmaker 100 Blocks top
  • .75 yards each for four different bindings.

Used this Week:     8.50 yards
Used year to Date:    63.25 yards
Added this Week:    0
Added Year to Date:    0
Net Used for 2011:    63.25 yards

I’ve stayed off the online shops so the temptation to buy more fabric hasn’t been great.  I wish I could say the same for yarn!

How did you do this week?  If you’re not buying much, are  you struggling or is it easy for you not to buy?

Comments

I finally gave in to temptation and bought some fabric for the first time in almost 4 months, but I didn’t buy much. I had to make a trip to the quilt shop to pick up my machine which was in for service and I was just overcome by the urge to pet new fabric. If I stay out of the shops (brick and mortar as well as virtual), I do OK and don’t have too much trouble resisting fabric purchases.

Way to go on the stush busting this year!

Liz says

I’ll be tempted in a few weeks if i head down to the Dallas Quilt Show. Maybe I should limit my purchases to what I’ve used so far this year, which means I would not buy that much, but I’d just go back to zero!

pdudgeon says

i came, i saw, i bought…’nuff said, LOL
    fortunately all i bought goes into next year’s stash, but it was stuff i needed.

I’m not tempted much these days, but I’m still buying a little – mostly to get borders/backings for things that Jane brought back to me from Market. You’re doing great! You’re strong — you can do it!!!!!

Susan Torrens says

I always want to buy new fabric, but I am really trying to stick to my plan to use as much stash as possible. Of course, it is more difficult when I am in Florida for the winter, as I have almost no stash here, and the online as well as local shops have that siren call to buy fabric. I don’t order online when I am in Canada, as I hate dealing with customs and duty charges, and many shops only ship to the US.
    There are always some fabrics that are needed to finish projects, but I try not to be tempted.

The stash report helped me! I started to pick up just another measley 1/2 yd pre cut and stopped myself. I remembered that I had added over 20yds and February isn’t over – wheww! I’m sure I’ll go back and buy it some time, however ;-).

Way impressed by your record for the year! I was good for a few weeks, but I really needed some for the quilts I’m working on (I suspect my stash is smaller than some, since I’ve only been quilting a few years). Our guild’s quilt show starts on Thursday–so the prognosis for next week is poor as well.

I’m actually finding it easy not to buy because I’m working on my UFOs. I’ve stayed out of all but two of the area quilt shops and when I went into those I picked up exactly what I went in for (notions). I am not a big on-line shopper unless I’m looking for something specific – like the border fabric for my January UFO, so that’s not a problem.

Mel Meister says

I take a lot of classes in my quilt shop so I’m surrounded by temptation all the time. I resist a lot, but when I do give in, it’s getting more expensive because of the higher cotton pricing.

Joanne Eggleston says

I am trying to finish my UFO’s so have tryed to resist buy any new fabric. I am a fairly new quilter and whenever I see fabric I would like (but don’t have a particular project in mind) I never know how much I should buy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Denise says

Well a box of fabric arrived, but I did do some sewing this week so some came out of the stash too so I’m in the black at least. 🙂

I was definitely online tempted. Connecting Threads has some great clearance specials, especially on pre-cuts. I almost succumbed, but walked into my sewing room and took a look at my stash and went right back and cleared my basket. I can hardly wait to use more so I can take advantage of their deals.

Judy, I look forward to seeing your QM quilt.

No change, so I haven’t posted a new report. I haven’t even been tempted to buy…even though I saw a really great dinasoar print the other day that would’ve been perfect for a little boy’s quilt. Still no sewing here. Need to get back on my schedule or I’ll not meet the goals for this year either.

Thanks for always being such an inspiration.

Oh added more. . but it’s all so lovely. Some of this will go out during my bee’s later this year. Maybe I should start planning that now.

Having such a hard time reducing my stash. I think it’s because I threw out so much before moving. Not that I couldn’t reduce more. I think I just did more than I thought I had. I did buy some neat Kaffe Fasset fabric that I just loved and it was on sale.

Too much on-line shopping this week…but I have several things ready to finish, so hopefully the numbers will come way down soon!

I managed to finish my little monochromatic quilt for February and I had forgot to account for the little quilt in January! No new purchases!

You did good.
    I really fell off the wagon, went to a fabric market last saturday and found white cotton (for dyeing) which was extremely low priced. I ended up buying 30 metres, this means I will be working to get out of the red again this year. Of course I can use this fabric to use up all the dye powder that is lurking in my closet, so I just had to buy it LOL.

Oddly enough, now that you asked, I realize I’m NOT really struggling with not buying more. I’m staying home a lot since our weather’s been so horrific, and I’m resisting the online shopping urge, so I’ve been doing well so far. I don’t think I’ve actually purchased anything yet this year! My added stuff is yardage I put back unused from previous projects. I’m really surprised that I’m still in the black after 2 months! Thanks for hosting these reports, Judy; they really help make me realize what I’m doing!

Darlene S says

My February went out like a lamb. Nothing in and nothing out. I’m not really struggling to keep from buying more fabric because I too am committed to finishing up some of my UFO’s so until I get to the backings, I won’t be tempted to buy. Nice totals for you though. Dar

I had a short and brutal battle with my self control a week and a half ago. I lost! The box showed up on Saturday, full of goodies. But I finished a few things late Sunday night, so I will finally show a small drop next week! And I’m very proud of everyone who has managed to stay strong!

Jamie says

I’m new to this stash report linky, but I love the idea. Great to stay focused on using stash and finishing quilts!