Fiesta Sunrise is Quilted

The last time I checked the votes before starting the quilting, the results were about 50/50 with Spiral Square just a couple of votes ahead.  It was interesting reading your responses about how you choose your designs and what you would or wouldn’t use.  Maybe since I no longer quilt for others and 99.9% (or more) of the quilts I make are either for my own bed or for gifts to those who need them, I don’t stress a whole lot about quilting designs.  I’ve been longarm quilting for 13 or 14 years and in the beginning, I spent way too much time trying to figure out what worked and what didn’t and, many times, second guessing my choices after the tops were quilted.  There have been numerous times when I’ve seen quilters asking for help with designs and often I cringed at the suggestions because they were ideas I just thought would be horrible, but when I saw the finished quilt, it was beautiful.  I’ve learned that what one quilter things looks horrible, another quilter things looks great.

On this quilt, I knew that either design would work fine and in the end, it would be beautiful.  I truly didn’t care because Alfresco was the panto on top so I didn’t mind using it.  Spiral Square was the next panto down . . I have a bad habit of stacking them instead of removing them and re-rolling them.  Spiral Square will be used on my next quilt so I didn’t want to take it off the machine so either would have worked just fine for me.

For those who questioned the diagonal lines not lining up, the lines on the panto are curvy and not straight and, in my opinion, worked just fine on this top.  Once it’s washed, the lines will blur and with shrinkage, this is going to be so pretty!  In fact, I love it and am thinking I might want to make a larger one using the exact same colors and use it on our bed for a summer quilt.  I’d use either Mountain Mist Rose batting or Hobbs Polydown if I were making this for a summer quilt.

The backing is as pretty as the front!

Maybe I’ll get the binding on it next week but for now, I’m going to load my brown Monochromatic Challenge quilt from last month and get it quilted.

Comments

It looks great! Please tell me you just trimmed it, and don’t have it bound, because if it was bound, I might sigh…. and bow down to your awesomeness LOL

Love, love, love this quilt! The design, the colors, the quilting…everything! Wish I had the extra funds right now to buy it from you.

Jane says

LOVE how it turned out!!! I bought my girlfriends HQ 16 and have not quilted anything with it….fear of starting I guess!!!! Wish I lived next door to you for quick lessons! lol

Donna in KS says

Never would have dreamed, Judy, that panto would do this piecing justice! But you knew!! It is another gorgeous one. And, yes, the back looks very nice too. I wish I had room for an APQS; a lot more would get done at my house. This quilting by check does get a bit expensive! On that post on the bridges…..could you tell me location of the first bridge? Wishing you well.

WiAmy says

It turned out really nice even though I picked the other design. The spiral squares are really larger than I thought and it is nice to see how versatile they are. I like the thread choice too. What color and kind of thread is it? As usual, it is another fabulous quilt!

Debbie says

It’s funny you used the sprial square as I saw it frequently in some of the palace pictures from the wedding.

Diane says

I knew it would be beautiful what ever you chose. I’m with Kari, I need to get me one of those longarm machines! 🙂

Judy, I always laugh when you’re talking about bridges! This quilt is beautiful and so is the quilting! You out-did yourself. Good luck on the house-hunt! Mimi

OH my – I don’t like it – I LOVE IT……..it turned out great. I can’t believe you are so productive right before moving!

Thanks for the instructions for THE ROAD TO BROWNWOOD – I am keeping up with you!

sao in Midlothian, VA

Miriam says

It turned out really nice. That was my choice between the two. Oh, I’m a friend of Mary Lea’s who now lives in Katy, Tx./

Kat says

I love this quilt! Yesterday when you posted a picture of your backing I did not care for it at all, but I love it now that I see the finished quilt. I only mention this because I think it a perfect example of how sometimes when we cringe at ideas we think are horrible they actually turn out beautiful.

It looks great. My choice was Alfresco but I must admit I was wrong. The quilting does not look like straight lines at all! It really is a lovely quilt.