May Monochromatic Attempts

The color for May is red and here it is mid-May and I haven’t started my red quilt.  Anyone else working on this project?

I have a red/cream log cabin started and thought about trying to finish that and count it as my May project but I think those blocks have already been packed.  I thought about doing a basket quilt but haven’t gotten very far with that idea.

A few designs have emerged from my EQ doodles. Not sure any of these will make their way into a real quilt but here’s what I’ve come up with so far.  If I were to make any one of these, they would need a bit of tweaking. As of now, I like them all ok but none of them thrill me.

Comments

Denise says

Now you’ve got me wondering what you “really want” since you seem to have wandered off mid sentence. 🙂 All very pretty quilts – the third one really catches my eye just because of the graphic symplicity of the design with the postiive/negative look. So is the red/cream log cabin the one you did when you issued us a log cabin challenge quite some time ago? I was just thinking about that the other day when I came across the log cabin top I made at the time which still needs to be quilted.

Becky I says

The third one is my favorite but I do like the border design on the first one. Oh got an idea, put the border from the first one on the third one and see how it looks..huuummmmm

Henrietta says

I like the third one too, it looks like little shovels, to dig yourself out of the trauma of moving. I think the design is complex enough to need the simple borders, but that is just me. I think I told you once before I buy your books because you are the Queen of Borders!

I like the 3rd one. I’m about 1/2 way through sewing the red blocks for the background of a ‘crossword puzzle’ quilt. Since I know I’m not going to get it done by this weekend (waiting on the latest grandbaby), I’ve started working on a neutral quilt which I hope I can finish up in time.

Richelle in TX says

I love the third quilt! Looks like a quilt that would have been at the Red and White Exhibition in NY.

Mel Meister says

I agree…not really crazy about any of those. How about various size star blocks?

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ says

My husband really likes #1. I’m not crazy about any of them, but if I have to make a choice, it is #3. I’ve been working on my red monochromatic quilt and have the top completed and it is now on my quilting frame. I hope to get it quilted this week – using Judy’s favorite panto – Square Spiral by Keryn Emmersen.

Gail Sheppard says

Hi Judy,
    The border on the first quilt really caught my eye! I like the 3rd quilt with it’s uniform blocks. Could you combine those 2 aspects?
    Gail

Mary Jo says

I am also in the group voting for #3. I like #1 the least. But we each have our own ideas, and your quilts always turn out to be so great that making up your own mind probably works better than listening to me!

Chris says

I am with the majority as I really like #3. I would make that as a quilt along with you I think it is so nice. Good luck deciding.

shirley bruner says

i just finished putting the binding on my red quilt today. i guess we can’t fault you if you don’t get your mono quilt done this month…after all…moving is hard work. but, then again…..you ARE our leader. LOL

With all you’re up against, packing to move, finding a new house, keeping your home spotless and clutter-free for potential buyers, I can’t believe you’re even thinking about all these quilting projects. We will forgive you if you don’t complete a red monochromatic quilt by month’s end!

I like 3 the best! And I like the BORDER of the first one!

I have my red basket quilt CUT OUT but not together! I am still working on BROWNWOOD and my UFO for May for the RED may not get finished this month! YOU NEVER KNOW….

sao in Midlothian, VA

SarahB says

I have a pattern for a Starry Log Cabin that I wanted to do red&white but, like you, the housing issues have consumed all waking time. We’re listed but not cleaned yet, that’s today! Meanwhile, on my work table, which looks depressingly empty, I have the pattern sitting. It’s calling to me but I am not sure I am going to even get to it.

Wow, that is funny, I usually vote with the crowd, but I like #1 and #2 the best, #3 the least. 3 just seems so plain and simple for a “Judy” quilt, to me anyway. I too can’t believe you are thinking about actually starting another quilt, but who knows when you will be out of there, so why NOT? You go for it! Less fabric to move!