Taste Test

About 3-1/2 years ago I purchased some half gallon canning jars.  The only thing I really can in them is apple juice because that’s about the only thing that’s safe to can in them.  But, using the FoodSaver, I vacuum seal other things in them.  In August, 08, almost three years ago, there was a big sale on Shredded Wheat cereal.  I actually like Shredded Wheat so I bought quite a few boxes and vacuum sealed it in the jars.

From time to time I’d get out a jar and we’d use it but when I realized I was down to one last jar, I decided to save it for a long time, then open it and see if it was still fresh.  Friday night Chad was working and I was quilting and it got to be almost 10 p.m. and I still hadn’t stopped to eat dinner.  I was starving so I figured it was a good time to grab that last jar of Shredded Wheat and taste it.  Believe it or not, it tasted fresh as could be!

Once I get settled in Texas and catch cereals on sale, I’m going to do that again — lots of jars of cereal.  Not only is it best to buy it on sale and use it instead of going out and buying a new box at the current price when needed, but if there ever comes a time when for whatever reason, we need to eat what’s on our shelves, even using powdered milk and water and some dried strawberries or bananas or blueberries . . this is definitely not a bad meal . . IF you like Shredded Wheat.  While I haven’t tested other cereals, I can’t imagine that Cheerios, Chex, and other similar cereals wouldn’t hold up the same way the Shredded Wheat did.

Comments

I also like Shredded Wheat, but I buy the plain. It is sometimes hard to find in the bite size so your idea is great. Now I will just need to get the vacuum sealer and the cereal after we move. Thanks for the info.

pj says

How in the world do you vacuum-seal a jar? What kind of food saver is able to do this? TIA

Lynne in Hawaii says

Judy, I’m leaving a comment but don’t know what will show. When I went into your comments here to read, it says there are 4 but the comments themselves are not displayed…weird. You should try Kashi cereals. Their Autumn Wheat is excellent. We get ours from Costco.

I deliberately decided a few years back when I bought my FoodSaver that I would keep it ON my kitchen counter! That way, it is always ready to use! And boy, do I ever use it!!! My jars also have dry pasta in them (I’ve put them in the 1/2 gallon jars) as well as spice mixes and so many more things that it would be impossible to name them all in this little space! Suffice it to say- my Foodsaver is used every single day!! Even have the lids to put on open canned goods in the fridge that are such a great saver!!

This is so good to know! I’m off to see an endocrinologist at Oregon Health Sciences University tomorrow, so I’m hoping there will be room for at least a few carbohydrates in my future. really do miss cereal, and I love Shredded Wheat!

Mel Meister says

How do you use a food saver on a canning jar? I have one and I don’t think it will do regular jars. It does have a tube thingy for doing plastic container with a special top designed for the tube.

lw says

If you used a jar and didn’t evacuate the air, the cereal would last longer than in a box (even a sealed box) but not as long as your vacuum seal. Another choice is a little bit of dry ice in the jar– just enough to fill the jar with nitrogen before you seal it. That would keep for years.

Karla says

yes I am kind of curious too about how to use a foodsaver on regular canning jars. How does that work I can’t seem to get my brain around that concept

Darlene S says

Judy, I think a tutorial about how to use a food saver with canning jars is in order. I too would like to know how to do that. The only kind of food saver I’ve used it with the special plastic bags that comes with the unit. Thanks Dar

shari says

I use my Food Saver every day. I even have a container in that I use to seal the salad mix I buy at the store. It lasts a very long time. You can also seal things like tomato powder, dehydrated fruits & veggies and crackers. Just slip the included jar sealer attachment over the canning jar lid and press the button. I’m on my 3rd food saver & both of my kids have them too. Son loves to speed marinate in one of his containers. We’re sold.