Comments

Jane says

I love hand made socks, too. I wonder if they really feel better or if I’m just imagining it, but they make my feet feel loved!

They look so comfy! I never wore homemade socks before. You’ll have to put pictures of them for your Design Wall Monday… you are getting things done, just not in the Quilting zone.

I am soooooooooooooo tempted to get the knitting needles out and try socks. My feet stay so cold in the winter and these look nice and warm. Argyles were the thing to knit when I was in college. Since I had no boyfriend to knit them for, I knit baby booties in an argyle pattern for my little brother.

marcie says

I’ve never made nor worn hand-knitted socks. Do they feel differently? Are they warmer? I often have cold feet. 🙁 How do they last? How do you wash them? Sorry for all the questions – but I am very interested! Thanks!

• 10.1

Sandie says

Handmade socks are the BEST! I just started knitting socks last year, and absolutely love them! My feet were always cold in the winter, but no more! They usually have no added elastic, so they rely on the give/stretch of the wool yarn to hug the foot and leg, so yes, they do feel different than the typical Hanes or Fruit of the loom cotton sock. As far as washing, each yarn manufacturer has specific recommendations for their particular yarn. Most often Hand wash in cool water and lay flat to dry although there are quite a few yarns that say they can be machine washed too. As far as how long they last…. with proper care – indefinitely! It is suggested that if you use a yarn that is 100% wool you use a nylon reinforcing yarn in the heel and toe to aid in durability. If you are at all interested I highly recommend sock knitting! A great gift and portable too, so that time we spend waiting for car repairs and Dr. appointments and kids can be productive!

Great socks! I need to try this pattern using one of the many skeins of Madelinetosh currently residing in a plastic container in my storage room. There is no such thing as too much sock yarn !

ruth anne shorter says

They are so beautiful……..mine are all plain Jane! I must try that yarn one day, also.

Jane says

I love, love LOVE homemade socks!!!! Reminds me of my Grandma…I would get her to make me socks all the time!! <3

Oh I just love them. Of all the socks I’ve made that pattern has been my favorite. Good luck on the house hunt, I check your blog several times a day just to see how things are going…I truely hope your blessed with the one that is best for you.