Several years ago while in a quilt shop, I saw and wanted to make the Winter Wonderland quilt.
I bought the white fabric for the redwork and will use white on white and reds from my stash. I’ve never done redwork and I really don’t remember how to do embroidery so I have questions. If you know answers or have suggestions, could you please help me out? I’m thinking this might be a good project for while I don’t have full access to my stash.
- I think I bought a tightly woven muslin for the redwork — Southern Belle maybe. I’m not even sure I can find it but if I can, is that a good choice?
- If I can’t find the Southern Belle, will any white on white in my stash work or does it need to be a muslin or non-printed type fabric?
- How do I mark the embroidery lines? In theory, I suppose I’m supposed to stitch right on my lines and they wouldn’t show. I might remember that someone told me to use a very fine tip red Pigma pen? Or, a red pencil color?
- What do I use for red thread? Perle cotton? Embroidery floss? How many strands?
- Do I start off with a knot or do I leave a tail and weave it in (kinda like knitting)?