Buttermilk

Do you love buttermilk?  I think people either love it or hate it.  I love it!  In both MO and KY, we couldn’t get whole buttermilk.  It was either skim or 1%.  When I go to Louisiana, I always get whole buttermilk.  One of the first things I looked for here was whole buttermilk and YES!  All the grocery stores seem to have it.  I’m very happy!DSC_0618

Comments

I almost never buy this; only when a recipe calls for it, but then I love it and drink it from the box…..shameful confession!

I used to love buttermilk when I was a kid, and I’m sure it was whole buttermilk back then! I haven’t had any for years, I’ll have to buy a little bit of it and see if I still like it. 🙂

Sandie says

My pappy drank it all the time, but not me! I see buttermilk, and I immediately start thinking of biscuits and pancakes and all those other good things that are so bad for us!

Sibyl says

Oh I love to cook with buttermilk. Can’t say I have ever drank it, my parent’s, and grandparents drank it. Remember them crumbling cornbread in it. I’ll take my cornbread in sweet milk with a little bit of salt. UMMMM. Might need to go get a half gallon, need to make some biscuits, cornbread and such this next week. Won’t even need an oven with the temps outside. 😀

Have a good evening.

Sibyl

Buttermilk makes a world of difference when baking. Much better results then you get with milk soured with vinegar or lemon. I don’t know that I ever really tasted it, but I know lots of people who like it with cornbread.

Oh, y’all don’t know what’s good. LOL. Buttermilk is very good. I do have to say that I’ve had some over the years I didn’t like. It was too thin. I like thick buttermilk. Maybe it’s an acquired taste for some, but I grew up on it. My husband loves buttermilk with cornbread crumbled up in it. This might be a southern thing though.

I remember the first time I drank buttermilk as a child. My dad loves it and I had never had it. It sounded gross! One night I asked for milk and he poured me a small glass of buttermilk. I still remember spewing it all over the kitchen. Surely wasn’t good when I was expecting plain milk. Not sure when I began to like it but I would choose a good, cold glass of buttermilk over Dr. Pepper any day.

LOVE buttermilk! Just thinking about it, I wish we had some in the house right now. I cannot drink milk. It makes me gag. Buttermilk, however, tastes delicious to me.

Only for cooking! I heard tonight on the radio about making your own buttermilk. Whole milk with vinegar and it does its thing. Never knew that. I guess I thought there were buttermilk cows or something …….

• Diana in TX says

I generally have the powdered on hand. Will only buy the real stuff if I know I’m going to be doing a lot of baking with it. And since DH had his heart attack last year I don’t do much baking. For me, powdered is the best way to go. Sometimes that is hard to find.

Cindy from California says

Love it!!! I would be in big trouble if I couldn’t buy it in the stores!

My grandmother drank it, but I didn’t like it as a kid (but then I have never been fond of regular milk either).

I started buying it for cooking (makes everything taste better!!!). Then I tasted a little! Now I like it — although I only drink a little at a time!!

Cindy

Cindy in NC says

I’m not much of a cook and, therefore, not usually picky about ingredients. I do, however, make good biscuits. I believe one of the secrets is the buttermilk I get from a local dairy which, luckily, is not far from my house. They used to keep a cooler on the porch of one of their buildings. You’d simply take what you wanted and leave money in a box — honor system. I liked to go in the late afternoon because they let customers in the barn to watch the milking. You could also pet the calves, which were like big puppies. About ten years ago they opened an ice cream shop near the farm, and that’s where you now buy the buttermilk and other products they sell. I miss the farm — at least the buttermilk still comes in glass bottles.

carol c says

Hey friend Judy
    got a pro/con list going yet for this move?
    put that on your pro list-roflmbo

I am sooooo glad you are here

I havent tried to drink it yet. But Pensy’s buttermilk ranch dressing mix can’t be beat. YUMM. Since we don’t eat a lot of it, I buy a container and freeze it in 1 cup gladware. Works fine
    so far for that, but like I said, haven’t tried to drink it. How can it be bad, dairy is my LIFE.