Ready to Sew!

The sewing room is all put together except for an ironing board.  The ironing table I use has to come apart to be moved and since we may have found a house to buy, I’m not going to put the ironing table together yet.  We have a regular ironing board upstairs and I may just bring that down here for now.

It’s hard to tell from photos and my descriptions but when you walk into the sewing room from the downstairs family room, you kinda walk through this room to get to the other downstairs bedroom.  When you walk in, you come through the door that you see at the top left of this photo.  The first thing on your right is my cutting table, which happens to be piled high with paper.  Vince will roll that up tonight and get it out of here.

I will have the Bernina 1230 and a Singer 301 set up back to back.  The door, that has a chair sitting in front of it, goes out to the patio.

There’s the design wall — all ready to be used!  The open space is where an ironing station of some type will be set up.

Since I’m not planning to unpack all the fabric, I’m mostly going to work on UFOs til we get settled in a permanent location.  Here they are, waiting patiently to be completed.

The closet off the sewing room is a two room closet!  When you go into the closet, you turn right and here’s another closet.  UFOs and other “stuff are stacked in here.  In that little built in cupboard is where I stuck the weaving yarn.

This is the main closet.  More plastic bins, more boxes, more stuff.  Get a good look because some day in the future, I’m going to use everything, finish everything and all these boxes and bins will be empty.

Not now though — I have to get dinner going!  🙂

Comments

Wait just a minute! You thought you were going to slide by with saying you might have found a house to buy and not say anything else? Got my body parts all crossed for you!

Laura says

“May have found a house to buy?” OK, I won’t ask any questions … don’t want to jinx it!

I think you are not wanting to jinx a house – I noticed too that you let that slide in with no details 🙂
    Karen

Gail says

May have…..DON’T say another word. Give us the moving date and we may just come and help you move the sewing room to the new place…..whenever you find one…….of course, we may help you shrink the stash or the UFO pile, the sock yarn stash while we are at it!

Oh goodie! I’m not the only one who saw you slip that tidbit of info in your post!!!!

I have not been commenting but I’ve been following. I have been happy to see all your progress. Don’t you hate that paper? I still have tons of it and I’ve been here for almost 6 years.

I’m happy you are settling in. Off to make dinner – sounds so normal, doesn’t it?

Linda in NE says

Those boxes of UFOs should keep you sewing for a while. I really like that room with all the natural light & storage. Would it have room for your longarm as well as the other machines?

Becky I says

Woo Hoo the piece and harmony that quilting provides will soon be enjoyed again. I am so glad for you. I enjoy every single minute of my new sewing room and I know how much you will enjoy yours…..even if it is temporary and you move again. 🙂

Well, I will say I was already laughing before I read through the above comments. I guess us loyal readers are all scanning your posts for information. And since I just ordered my first ever sock yarn, I think I will volunteer to help you move again: I’m in for helping you stash bust!

grace thorne says

way to go judy! you will feel like normal again i’m sure, despite all the boxes still around. please, can i have that tile floor? so much space, you are truly blessed! i am pretty sure i could move in and not even be in the way….LOL

• 11.1

Judy Laquidara says

You’re more than welcome to come. Don’t bring anything — just come on over and sew with me!

I have that same queen anne sewing cabinet. I was working an auction and the stool went sky high but nobody wanted the machine and the auctioneer gave it to me. I love my singer 201 and the cabinet.

peggy says

I am among the many that noticed the “we may have found a house to buy” comment. Hope so, but you have definitely made what my pilot husband would call a “soft landing” with the house you’re in. Good luck on the maybe deal coming up.

• 15.1

Judy Laquidara says

We have a 6 month lease but we would have to add a sewing room at the new house so it will probably be 4 or 5 months before we would be ready to move in. We don’t have a deal yet though.

I’m not going to comment about the slip of the fingers.

I love that you have a place to sew. I was going to sew this afternoon, but am frustrated not having a place to sew. So instead of sewing I went through boxes of sewing items I will no longer use. They will all be for sale soon.

Tina says

Lovely set up. Lots of room and gorgeous tile floors! Hope you don’t have time to get too comfy. Ever find the crockpot? 😉

• 17.1

Judy Laquidara says

No! It must have ended up in the rental storage building. Too hot to go looking for it though.

NancyB in AZ says

Oh know you don’t……you slide in that you may have found a house to buy!!! ???

Based on what you’ve been writing about housing, I can see where finding a potential house, negotiating, inspecting, closing, renovating and everything I didn’t mention can easily take 6 months. And that’s if you found something right away.

Now, are you saving all those boxes and paper to repack for the next move? I am guessing that the company won’t be paying for that trip across town.

When I bought a house in the same city, I took a bit of time cleaning up the new place and moving stuff. It was less stressful than packing a bunch of boxes to move and then unpacking. I think I read on someone’s blog, maybe a comment here, that they bought extra laundry baskets and used those to pack up a certain amount, put them into the car, went to the new place and unload immediately.

Good luck on the possible house! Oh, and just a thought – the ads showing up on your blog through BlogHer are getting a bit…ridiculous. I’d take a screenshot of the obviously photoshopped enormous-chested women whose pictures are staring at me, but I’d rather keep that sort of stuff off of my computer. Suffice it to say that these women will have very bad backs if those pictures weren’t photoshopped. Can you control the content of the ads on your site?

That looks like such a wonderful sunny room to sew in, even if there isn’t much water in the lake. I’m a bit envious of the room, but happy that I don’t have all the work and hassles involved in moving.

Happy sewing! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you finding a more permanent home.

Awesome storage. I think right in those two pictures you have more storage than my entire house! (There are reasons we are trying to move. Can you guess what one of them is?)

I’ll pray the unjinxed house works out for you!

Cindy from California says

Well at least you know that your followers actually DO read your posts!!! LOL!!!

Your sewing area looks great — a good way to relieve some stress for the NEXT phase!

Six months would give you time for a leisurely move – one Vince pickup truck at a time!!!

I will be waiting for the next post (as always!!).

Cindy

La la la .. fingers in ears…. don’t want hear anything on a new house for fear of it all falling apart….. shhhhhhhhhhhh!

patti says

we’ll wait patiently to hear about a permanent house when and if it happens. in the meantime it’s good to see you getting back to some normalcy and making this house a “home” room by room. you definitely might want to save that packing paper knowing you’ll be going thru the process again. but if it’s in the same area, my BIL had a great moving idea — he bought several of those reuseable grocery bags and loaded them up, taking to the new place and unloading each day. they can hold a lot of weight, have those great handles, and once they’ve been used for moving you can take them to the grocery store for shopping!

If this was Facebook , I could triple LIKE this posting! Awesome that you are ready to sew your troubles away. The lighting looks perfect for the sewing area with all the windows and doors with windows! Are you drawing straws to see which UFO is worked on or is your # 7 in those totes?

Very cool sewing room. The Piece of material which do not need you, send to me!:D I be happy with it.

Good health to the new location. Happy sewing!

Karen says

Love your storage & sewing space! Won’t it be nice to whittle away on the UFOs? As for the ‘may have found’ comment I’m keeping my fingers crossed and waiting to hear more.

Kay Devaney says

Morning Judy-
    I’m curious as to whether or not Vince’s sewing machine made the move to TX. k in mn

Susan R. says

Don’t want to jinx you, however I am hoping that the purchase of the new house goes thru without a hitch.

Your sewing room looks fantastic in this house and I am sure that if you build a new sewing room we will all be so envious of it. I do have to ask what that white thing on a stand is for. I was thinking it was a steamer but am not sure. Would you share what it is and how you use?

Susan R.