There’s nothing like home cooking. I’d rather eat at home any day than eat out. It’s been hit or miss at our house. Even though I had meals all planned, we’ve had evenings when we were seeing houses, or escaping the heat, or meeting with the realtor and eating at home just hasn’t happened often enough.
Hopefully by next week we can eat every night at home. Since Vince doesn’t come home for lunch, I pack his lunch so I try to fix things that taste good reheated.
One day this week week we had hamburger steak, mashed potatoes and squash salad.
Another thing we haven’t found yet is our glasses so we’re drinking out of plastic glasses that got packed at the last minute because I had saved those out for us to use in MO.
The hamburger steak was pretty typical – I used a packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix, mushrooms and lots of onions. When I was a kid, I hated mashed potatoes but I love them now. I love anything with gravy! I used 2 pounds of meat and had enough for Vince to take in his lunch the next day and enough to freeze for another meal. Now I have two meals in the freezer — hamburger steak with gravy and meatballs and sauce!
The squash salad is great and easy to make and works great to make a head and stick in the fridge. Nothing like a good, cold salad on a hot night.
1 lb. small squash (mix zucchini and yellow squash)
3 oz. prosciutto (could use bacon or turkey bacon)
several fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
1. Fry the prosciutto til crispy. Set aside.
2. Shave the squash with either a mandolin or potato peeler. If there are large seeds, remove those. Small seeds are ok left in. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt.
3. Add 1-1/2 T. fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp. grated lemon zest.
4. Add 1-1/2 T. olive oil and black pepper.
5. Chop the basil leaves and add to the mix.
6. Toss and add prosciutto.
- Nuts (walnuts, toasted almonds, pine nuts, etc.) could be added.
- This could be mixed with a little lettuce and a bit more oil and lemon juice added to make more servings.
- Shaved parmesan or romano cheese could be added.
- Mint could be used in place of the basil (or along with the basil if desired).
- I don’t add the crispy prosciutto til just before serving or it will get soggy.