Design Wall Monday – August 29, 2011

Yay!  Yay!  Double Yay!  I have a design wall and I have something on it!

Bears in the Farmhouse!  This is the second of these quilts and I had wanted them to be pretty much exactly alike.  I have high hopes of some day having a farmhouse — something that looks like an old farmhouse just like my grandma had, but it’s actually a new farmhouse, with a 6 burner gas stove and an air conditioner that works!  🙂  And I want the headboards on two twin beds to be old whitewashed wooden gates and I want the walls to be yellow with lots of white trim.  And I wants Bears in the Farmhouse to be the quilts on those two beds.

When I opened the box for this UFO, it had only the blocks. I was so lucky to be able to find the red check for the border and the red for the binding – the same reds I used in the first quilt.  I’ve cut the sashing strips and squares, I’ve pieced together the straight borders and made the binding (see them stacked neatly on the ironing shelf?) and all I have left to do is make the half square triangles for the pieced border and sew everything together.

Did you think I’d ever have a design wall again?  I was beginning to wonder!  Now . . please show us what’s on your design wall!

Comments

Congrats on finally gettin’ your wall up! Yay for you!! I’ve always wanted a farm house too. My friends always laugh when I say I “settled” for this ole Victorian.

I love, love, love your quilt, and can’t wait to see it finished. I love the colors and the stripes–so cheerful. Nice to see your design wall again.

Oh..I am so happy for you Judy. I think I would have been missing my sewing machine and I’ve just been away due to gardening. I am hoping the end is in sight of that too. The quilt is cute.

Sandy says

It is great to see you have a quilt top almost done. I really like the pattern and colors too!

I was wondering if you just leaned the design wall against the wall without anchoring it since you are renting. I need to make one like that. It sure is easier than trying to crawl around on the floor laying them out. My knees can’t take that anymore, lol.

It’s wonderful to see you sewing again! Love the Bears in the Farmhouse pattern and the fabrics that you used! This is one sew along I wish I had joined. Great job!

I love the Bears in the Farmhouse .. it was one of my favorite quilts to make with you.
    My design wall is not on my wall.. it’s just what I am working on at the moment.. as many as I can finger puppets on my Embroidery machine for the Christmas Shoe Box Appeal.. not sure if you have that in the USA, but guess you have something similar.

Sure is a very pretty quilt in the making. I’d say you were lucky to find the same fabric. Good luck on satisfying all your “wants”. Sandi

Yellow and white, with those cheerful quilts? Dreamy! Can’t wait to see that bedroom set up like that, hope it will be soon!!

Yea! For finding time to sew — even if it is just a little and to get the design wall up. Having moved a million times* I often try to have something to sew on soon after I move into a new house. *Ok, ok — not a million but 17 times.

Such a happy quilt. I can just see it on that bed. It’s been a long time since we’ve see one of your lovely creations – it’s a beauty. So glad you can happily do what you love to do.

Good morning Judy, I’m so happy for you. I know you’ve been waiting along time to have a design wall once again. I can’t imagine how frustrating it’s been for you. Glad you’re getting back in the swing of things.

I am so happy for you. Your design wall and blocks are great and I know that it will be well used before the next move.
    Enjoy having it and getting back to sewing

Love your Bears in the Farmhouse! The yellows with just a touch of color in the paws really makes it. Beautiful! I also like your improvised design wall and ironing table. Nice idea! You said: I have high hopes of some day having a farmhouse — something that looks like an old farmhouse just like my grandma had, but it’s actually a new farmhouse, with a 6 burner gas stove and an air conditioner that works!”—is this a hint that you have a purchased a home?—That is not an “old” farmhouse, but a “new” farmhouse?

grace thorne says

looks great judy, and it wasn’t THAT long ago….no doubt you’ve been super busy inbetween!

• 24.1

It’s been almost 4 months since I took my design wall down when we listed the house in MO. That’s 1/3 of a year!! 🙂

Doe in Mi says

I love your idea of an old farmhouse. I sure hope you get one at some point. What fun that would be to decorate w/quilts. And the bedrm. would be so lovely with those two quilts.

Connie says

Great job on that quilt Judy. I really like that one! Sounds like your life is starting to calm down a bit. Getting to the sewing room is always a happy place for me. Love the idea of a new/old farmhouse.

Welcome Back Judy! I loved this quilt the first time and so happy you found your fabrics to make it again. Glad you are quilting again:)

shirley bruner says

woohoo!! i had something on my design wall…..something that someone might want to see. LOL

Can you give some details on how your design wall is made? How did you attach the flannel to the styrofoam insulation board? It looks like two 4 ft x 8 ft. pieces of insulation board. Are they attached to each other somehow? Is it a 2 person job or something that a person could put together by herself?

Judy, your quilt is once again amazing…glad to see you have your design wall up and functioning again! 🙂 I had some trouble putting my link on today and no. 78 is not me, but 79 is. Sorry about that.