Which Backing

This top was made to test a pattern for my first book, Nine Patch Extravaganza.  It’s time it got quilted and found itself a new home so it will be donated to the Texas wildfire victims.

In this picture, along with the top, is a potential backing fabric.  The fabric is tan/brown with a little blue flower.  I have a ton of this fabric and since  the top could be masculine enough for a man, I question whether the floral fabric should be used for the backing.

Since there’s so much of that blue/tan floral, I would love to use it but I also have this piece that’s probably better, though I don’t have a lot of it and would have to add other fabrics to make it large enough for the backing.

Which backing fabric would you use?

Comments

I’d go with the tan: no piecing, have lots of it, flowers so little it wouldn’t matter to any recipient, and it’s a good neutral.

I agree – use the tiny floral – who ever gets it won’t care that there is flowers on it; it is from your heart!

Penny Holliday says

I agree! The tan/blue flowers would be just fine ~ it’s not a fussy feminine floral & appears as a neutral!!

I vote for the first one too — I’m pretty lazy about piecing backs and I think guy would be delighted with this quilt either way.

Tan/blue floral. Those flowers are so small that I feel no man would worry about them being on the back of the quilt. Besides…. it will be a GIFT quilt. Anyone in the Texas wildfire situation would be very glad to get it, regardless what is on the back!

KAT in Tamale Land

Linda in NE says

The quilt will keep a man just as warm with the tan/blue floral as with any other fabric. Use it.

Connie says

Go for the tan, I think it would make a nice binding rolled to the front as well. Then it can truly go to a male or female. You always do such beautiful work Judy!

I like them both about equally, but I do agree the second one would be more masculine. However…that being said, it’s not like the first one has a screaming, huge floral pattern, so I doubt any man would be put off by that backing on his quilt. Did you ask Vince his opinion? 🙂

Susan says

Save yourself some work…..use the fabric with the small flowers on it. I think whoever ends up with your beautiful quilt will appreciate getting the quilt and won’t care what’s on the back.

I like them both, too. It’s too bad that you don’t have enough of the second to do the whole thing — that would be my choice if you did! 🙂

PJ says

Hi Judy…I’m giving my response before I read the ones already sent to you. I like the backing in the second picture better. I think the check will look great against the stripe (or at least near the stripe border). What are you using for binding? I think the quilt is great. Bless you, once again, for donating to someone who is in need! Now I’ll read what other quilters have to say.

Libby says

I like the idea of no piecing so I vote for the floral too I especially like the suggestion of the blue flowers being Blue Bonnets. That’s just fun!

Danna Uyehara says

Tan….Flowers don’t matter; if a man gets it, he’s on the hunt for a woman anyway….someone’s gotta cook at Deer Camp!

Marky says

I’m with the majority: tan/floral. It doesn’t read as feminine to me at all. And who says men don’t like flowers, anyway? Especially subtle flowers, like these are.

Sandy says

I would pick the tan/blue flowers and it wouldn’t matter if you had a ton of it or not. But since you do, that is a bonus. I love the design of the top. Very pretty and someone is really going to be happy to receive it.

Sharon says

I love that tan with the tiny Blue Bonnets flowers for the back of a man’s quilt, and a man would love having that quilt with that on the back.

I’d go with the fabric I have the most of, and I think it looks really nice.
    Glad to hear about the house and you turning Texan! You sound more settled and I can see a lot of Texan style quilts in the pipeline..

dottie says

I’m a stripe girl myself but either will be an elegant backing. This is a quilt that a man would feel most cheery cuddling under so it will be a most welcome addition to your charitable givings.

Can’t you use the second choice and combine it with left-overs from the top?
    Would be my choice.
    But, knowing you and your talents, the final result will be beautiful, anyhow!

I would use the 2nd one and piece the backing. That way I’d get rid of more “pieces” out of my stash.

But then again, I find I seldom have pieces over 1/2 yard, so I am almost always piecing the back out of more than 2 fabrics. Or buying new backing……