Borders Make Such A Difference

When the Halloween quilt was shown on the blog a while back, someone commented that they were surprised how much it looked like the Electric Quilt drawing.  That’s part of the beauty of Electric Quilt – we can know exactly what the quilt is going to look like before we even start sewing.

Last night while going through some of my EQ designs that had been started but never finished, I came across this one:

At this point, it’s just a two block quilt and it didn’t thrill me.  I try to never judge a quilt before borders have been added.  Good borders make such a difference.

The drawings shown above and below have pretty much the same border which is a stacked flying geese block with some tweaking in the corners. The only difference is the next to last border – it’s yellow in the quilt above and medium blue in the quilt below. Can you see how a simple change such as a lighter or darker fabric for one border makes such a difference? The yellow border seems to give the quilt life.

I liked both those designs but felt the red needed to be carried out into the borders.

In this version, red was added, colors in the previous borders were changed a bit and more tweaking was done to the corners. To my eye, the quilt looks better with the red border sandwiched between two light yellow borders.  Adding a thin red final border, which represents the binding, gives this quilt a completed look and I think it might be on my “to do” list.

See what a difference the borders can make? Do you see why I love multiple borders?

Comments

Love it! That’s why I love my EQ too! Can’t wait to see this done. I’m a scrappy girl, and I think this would also make a great scrappy quilt. Love all your quilts! :o)

Gail says

Yes, indeed. One of the most important things I’ve learned from following your blog (and I’ve learned lots!) is what an enormous difference borders make.

Becky (central oregon) says

I love how the eq program lets you test drive ideas…. problemis I could almost just play with viritual quilts all day and never get one to the fabric stage…lol

pdudgeon says

i like both quilts! the one with the blue border gives a calming effect, while the red makes for a very bold quilt.

I like the looks of multiple borders too, just don’t like putting them on. And then I turn around and do the crazy pieced borders on the Bonnie Hunter mysteries. Have to wonder about myself sometimes. 🙂

Debbie R. says

I love the borders and agree that they make the quilt… but I just am not sure about measuring them.

Mel Meister says

We just learned the auto borders in our EQ7 class. I made a very nice project quilt with one of the pickets borders.

Your quilt is very nice. I like the yellow inbetween the reds, too. That gold piecing in the border is very important to the overall design, too.

katie says

depending on what effect you want for your quilt, they all look good. The red in the last one really makes the whole thing POP!! Very nice transition, from mello to WOW..

Susan-North Idaho says

Your right, borders do change the whole look. Do I remember correctly that you have a book coming out first of the year on borders and settings? I sure hope so. I can use inspiration.

Marion Morgan says

Love the quilt and really love all the extra borders–each change made the quilt look better.