Yesterday morning, we were up bright and early . . like once at 1:06 a.m. and again at 4:10 a.m. so Vince said “Heck . . I’ll just go to work” and I said “Heck . . I’ll just start working on Bears in the Farmhouse”. But I started thinking about the Color Palette Challenge and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Bears in the Farmhouse went back into the box and I went to Vicki’s palettes. Even though I know that I like and use certain colors more than others, I was surprised at how much of a rut I am in when it comes to choosing colors. I use a lot of purple, green and gold as well as a lot of brights paired up with black. Several of Vicki’s palettes caught my attention and I printed them to try to plug the correct colors into the EQ design I was hoping to use. It was frustrating to try to put together colors I don’t normally work with but very rewarding when the design worked nicely using those colors. This Color Palette Challenge is going to get me to using a lot of new to me colors . . I can see that already.
And then I printed a few more palettes:
And then . . I ran out of ink! Not really but I did print quite a few palettes before deciding on Colors of Autumn.
The next step was to see if I could find fabric here or if I’d have to go digging through boxes of fabric that are still at the rental. I miss my fabric so much.
These fabrics are the ones I chose. The orange is a the Shade Cascade by Blank and has four shades of orange. That will work! The black has a tiny little gold star which should work too but I’m not sure I have enough of it. If not, I have several other blacks. I can use the black with the star for the outer border and then use another black in other areas.
One thing I know I’m going to learn while using Vicki’s palettes – even though we can add a background fabric, her colors don’t normally include a white or ecru so I’m trying to stick with just the colors in her palette and leave off the white and ecru. That was a real challenge for me.
The fabrics that needed washing (all except the greens and the black) so I got that done and got gold and brown fabrics cut for some flying geese.
In case you haven’t noticed, the lighting in the bedroom where I’m sewing is terrible. The lighting in the dining room is just as bad so once we finish the sewing room, we’re going to get the electrician over here to do some work on our lighting and adding additional switches. The sewing room with have fantastic lighting!
For now, I’m happy to have a place to sew . . bad lighting or not!