January QOV

Last night when I should have been finishing up the border blocks for my January Color Palette Challenge, I couldn’t stop thinking about the January QOV.  Heck, the month is almost half over and there was no design swimming around in my head.  I began playing with blocks and came up with this.

Of course, I think it needs a pieced border but I ran out of  quilt before I got to the border!  I love that it’s a bit wonky.  It should be quick to make.  The flying geese units around the center square that make up the stare are all made from the same blue/background fabric so they can be pieced quickly. I’ll use one background and then make the colored sections scrappy — whatever I can find.  I’ll use the same red and the same blue throughout and will probably bind it in red.

It will finish at 61″ x 81″.

What do you think?

Comments

Very nice. I know you like pieced borders, but you could just piece some scraps together for the binding to get all the colors back to the outside. The red idea would look good also.

It is beautiful. I don’t have enough words to describe how my eyes popped out of my head when I saw the picture. I love the sashing around the stars. It is so cool.

I am in awe of you today! 🙂

Toni in TN says

Wow!!! I REALLY like this one. So not what I normally do but there is something about this design.

Becky (central oregon) says

oh wow…. this one just dances all on its own…
    I hope you keep us posted as you make this one up….

katie says

Wow !! just neat .. The center would make a fun kids quilt too, with maybe a more festive boarder.. I like it..

Once again I am in awe. You come up with such wonderful designs using simple blocks.

As has been said by others. . . . I need to start playing with my EQ more!

June Piper-Brandon says

Judy, this looks like a great quilt. Our guilds retreat is this weekend, this looks like it would be fun to make.

Marky says

it’s a winner!
    Love my EQ for getting those ideas into visual form, inspiring me to get out the fabrics! (See? I’ve learned a thing or two from you!) Hey all you EQ owners, start playing!

Mel Meister says

I think you need to add the navy blue blocks to the intersection of the colored square block corners. It will also give you a secondary design where the four squares come together. Otherwise, I think it’s terrific and would love to do it myself.

• 20.1

Tried that and didn’t like it. Made the blocks look too crowded and like they needed some space. Part of what I like about this design is that it’s a bit wonky.

• Mel Meister says

I wondered if you had tried it. I’d like to see it that way though. With your permission, I’d like to key this into my EQ and play with it.

Laceflower says

Wonky, yes, Great, yes. Very innovative. I know EQ very well and this is a straightforward, beginner layout, the WOW factor is all Judy’s clever designing skills.

You’ve outdone yourself. This is one of my favorites of your designs of all time!!

May I have permission to make it in the future, too?

Carol R says

Love your quilt! You really come up with some fantastic designs. They look complicated but usually are quick to make.

I LOVVVVVVVVVVVE IT!!! (sorry, I didn’t mean to scream, but I couldn’t help myself!) I always love the patterns you come up with.
    I really need to practice with my EQ-7 like so many others have mentioned!!

WiAmy says

“Boxed in Stars”–love it! It is very festive. You are so creative. I am always amazed at how you come up with so many unique great designs. Amy

Liz N. says

WOW!!! I too need to dust off my EQ….actually I need to load it into this computer……I keep delaying because it is the “last” time I can. This quilt just pops. The sashing gives the stars a 3-D effect. I agree with Katie, it would make a great quilt for kids.

liz

I’m not certain why several of you have called this quilt ‘Wonky.” To my eye the pattern is set very precisely! In fact, the boxes are quite Escher-esque, if you will, in that when you look at them the box definitely opens in the up position and to the left, and then suddenly it can be opening to the right and down. Escher would have been the first to tell you that that optical illusions just can’t happen in “wonky” style.

I do love this pattern, and I’m drooling to get my hands on the EQ7 software! ~ Lynda

Denise says

I love it! I have a design I’ve been working on (and custom set is not cooperating with me) similar to the box design around your star but I think my strips are wider — to look like tumbling blocks. But I really like your star in the center and the chains you alternated with — it’s going to be gorgeous.

Donna says

Judy, I always like your patterns but this may be my favorite yet. It’s so happy and playful. Absolutely love it!

maryc says

Absolutely gorgeous. Obviously the new sewing/home situation has stimulated your creativity into overdrive. I can’t wait to copy it if you share the pattern. WOW!

• 46.1

Having this move almost over with and the sewing room built . . yes, I’m feeling creative and I feel like sewing non-stop 24/7! 🙂

Grace says

Great quilt, Judy. I especially like the bright colors playing across the quilt. I think this design may be the next favorite after Shadow Stars.

Marie says

Oh hurry up and make this woman!! Would love to make it in kids size quilts. I know I have plenty of scraps for it. Thank you for playing with your EQ. It really helps those of us that don’t have it.

Vickie says

I have Quilt Pro, maybe I should try EQ??? I have an older version so it may be time to upgrade …or switch?? LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt idea 🙂 I am thinking scrappy like the piano keys border. You know the strips and maybe use that solid color blue to unify it …like the stars…I always love quilts with lots of color….but I like 2 color ones to and the black and white and an accent color…and …and …lol you get the idea. Very nice!!!

I have EQ7 and do play with it and don’t ever come up with anything quite as fantastic as Judy does. I really love this quilt, Judy. I have everything I’d need to make this right in my stash. Bring on the pattern (or the book)!

Darlene S says

I couldn’t agree more with what others have said. Love the look and colors. It doesn’t look all that easy to me, but I have not seen the block construction broken down yet. I’m glad you have a command of EQ7, then I don’t have to!!! 🙂 I love that it can be made with stash and scraps.

Rebecca says

Love it! I love the interesting designs you come up with! They look more complicated than they really are. It took me a couple looks to see the “wonky” star points, which make them float a little without being totally framed.