Socks – #2 for 2012

Last night I finished my green BFF socks.  This is one of Cookie A’s patterns.  Sock knitters are familiar with Cookie A just like quilters know Alex Anderson or Eleanor Burns!

I love everything about these socks.  I love the color!  I love the yarn (Madelinetosh Sock).  I love the cables.  I love that with the cables, the whole leg acts like it’s done in ribbing is seems thick and stays up nicely.  I know that, according to Denise’s rules, I’m supposed to try new patterns this year.  This was a new pattern for me but I’m betting I make at least one more pair of these.

Last night as I was trying to come up with another pattern to use for the next socks, everything seemed to fall a bit short after making these BFF Socks.  These could be the socks I make over and over and over again!

If I get any amount of knitting time this evening, I should be able to finish a pair of socks that I’ve had started for quite some time.  We’ll see!

Comments

Becky R says

I agree the color is perfect! No matter which color you use though I think the pattern is beautiful.

pdudgeon says

wow! i love the color, love the pattern, love the socks!
    if i were ever to knit a pair of socks, i would have a whole drawer full of that sock pattern in different colors. As it is i just went out to Wal-mart and spent $5.00 for 2 pair of socks.

yes, i know that Wal-mart socks are not as nice as home knit socks, but if a girl’s gotta choose between socks or quilts….

hmmm, maybe i’d better look at those socks again! LOL

bcinindy says

They look gorgeous. I just started my first Pair of cable socks – your new ones are an inspiration. Thanks,
    Barbara

Marilyn Smith says

Oh, how pretty. Love the color and the pattern.

Judy, are you up to knitting me a pair? I wear a size 12 shoe! Just thought I would ask you. I can do sweaters/shawls/scarves – have never attempted socks. I would love to get back into knitting again.

Denise ~ Justquiltin says

Love the color and the pattern! They turned out great. I didn’t say how “many” new patterns you had to try — you’ve done one that could qualify. LOL

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nine-to-five-socks This pattern is my new favorite – braidy looking stitch but no cable needles and easy pattern stitch to memorize. The heel stitch is just a little different and I like the braid that extends down both sides of the heel. Stitches are also picked up a bit different (from underneath) so it looks like a chain stitch on each side.

Beautiful socks. I’ve got to get started on that challenge. I started a pair and then something happened around the heel turn. I’ll try again. I can do it. Yes, I can knit socks. I can, I can, I can. I’m listening to a self improvement audio book called, No Excuses by Brian Tracy. Subtitle: The Power of Self Discipline. It is really encouraging for tackling everything — even knitting socks.

Love the color and the cables. I do have a question though. Why don’t sock knitters make longer tops on their socks? When I wear shorter socks my pant legs pull up when I sit down & my bare leg sticks out so I always like longer socks with long pants.

Frieda Z says

Try Cookie A’s monkey sock pattern. They are really nice and very easy pattern to memorize. Love your socks!!!!!

Sandy G says

Love these socks. They are similar to a pair of flip-flop socks that I made for my daughter for Christmas. The cables fit the ankle nice and snug. And thanks for showing them again. I had given up on purchasing a copy of the book that they are in, but this reminded me to check Amazon again. Lo and behold, it has been re-printed!

They look like great socks Judy. I’m still working on my cardigan, so I’ve not progressed on to my socks yet, but I may have to start with this pattern. So far, I’ve come across a bunch of patterns and these look so nice. It’s been a while since I’ve made cables, but I don’t remember them being too hard. I like the color you chose too!

Kathy K. says

These are so pretty! I have become greatly interested in learning to make socks. However, after looking at patterns and knitting books from the library I am more confused than ever. Can you suggest or even post a basic beginner pattern I might try to tackle? There are no yarn shops in my area and I have asked everyone I know and have been unable to find anyone to teach me. Thank you for your time.

I do like these socks–not so much the color, probably because I just finished a pair of green socks. But I love the cables combined with the ribbing. Although I knit my socks toe-up, I may play around and do something similar one of these days.
    I’ve noticed Denise finishing socks by completing the second of several pairs. I realized the very first year of sock knitting that I might catch “second sock syndrome”, so I’m glad I learned to knit two at a time. At first it felt like it took forever to finish a pair of socks, but I sooooo appreciate having them both finished at the same time.
    The green socks I just finished were started Jan. 1 (yes, because I was hoping to do more knitting this year) and were finished Jan. 29. Some sick days helped me get in a bit more knitting time. I’m not nearly as quick as you and Denise!

Mel Meister says

Have you seen that Interweave lowered the price on Sockupied to $4.99 per episode? They are wonderful emagazines for sock knitters.

I broke down and bought the book. I love these socks. I have only made one pair of baby socks so it will be a little while before I can attempt them but I can’t stop drooling over yours.

Sandie says

Hi Judy…. Just had to tell you , my husband regrests the day I found your blog! Taught myself to knit about 3 years ago, just so I could make socks. Of course now my sock yarn stash is out of control, and the loopy ewe is my favorite Internet dream world! Question about this pattern- is it written, or charted? I just can’t seem to read charted patterns, so I am hoping you will tell me it is written! They are awesome!

Nan says

Nice job Judy. I just finished my January socks… off to take a photo and post them! Cheers, and on to the February socks.
    Nan