Medical Tests

As we end 2012 and prepare to start a new year, I’d like to remind you all to keep up to date on those medical tests that can save your life . . mammogram, colonoscopy, routine bloodwork.  Whatever tests your medical provider recommends, please do them and stay up to date.  None of them are fun, some of them are quite expensive if not covered by insurance but early detection is so important.

Vince has Barrett’s Esophagus and has to have the upper GI scope (EGD) done every three years.  Yesterday he had that done so unless some of the biopsies come back bad, he’s good til 2015.

If you’re needing to get tests scheduled and have been putting it off, please pick up the phone and call and get those scheduled.  It could save your life!

Comments

Joanna says

Great reminder to us all!
    Thanks! And special thanks to Vince, who is such a sport to be a part of your blog!
    Joanna

Marilyn Smith says

Good advice! Hope that the results for Vince are positive and he will be clear for 3 more years.

I just got my mammo results back and I am clear for another year!

Audrey says

Hope the test results are good. They should have given him a green t-shirt to wear. How are we supposed to recognize him?

Verna says

Great advice! I’ve been scheduling my routine exams for September when the kids are back in school. Hope his test results are good!

Kim says

Here’s how I got my husband to get his “stuff”” done. When I went in for my pap I had him with me and sent him to the nurse’s station to get his blood pressure checked and to see if he needed any tests.. His blood pressure was rather high,so that got the ball rollin . He’s now on blood pressure meds and has had his physical for the year!

Mel Meister says

I will also add my voice to this topic. I was just diagnosed with uterine precancerous cells and have to have a total hysterectomy in January. Not looking forward to it, but it’s better than the alternative!

Get your checkups, sisters! And make sure your husband/significan other does, too! My husband’s early stage prostate cancer was found via a blood test and they took care of it all very easily.

Janet Hashley says

This is so important. My husband had Barett’s also and the Dr advised him to have the same test every 6 months which he did. Almost 6 years ago his 6 month test came back with cancer cells. It was so early he was able to have surgery but could have been so much worse had he waited or decided to skip his test. Good for Vince for listening to his Dr!

my husband found out during a routine 10 year colonoscopy that he had a large tumor in his colon. Thanks to 4 colonoscopies at Mayo…they were finally able to get it all. .Had it gone undectected it would have turned to cancer…those checkups can save lives!!!

June Piper-Brandon says

Excellent advice!! I had a scare this year. I went for my annual mammogram in October and a couple weeks afterwards I got a call from my doctor’s office to call immediately. I called when I got home and on Friday afternoon they had left for the day so I had to fret and fuss until Monday. They saw something on my scan and wanted to have another look. I can’t say enough great things about Kaiser Permanente. The radiologist sat down with me and explained what they were looking for and why it was important and what it could mean and then went on to explain what they had seen on my screen. I have to come back every 6 months to be sure it’s nothing but I was sure nervous for a few days. Better to be safe than sorry. I’ll be 50 next year so I’ll have to have my first colonoscopy.

I’m a bit of a lurker here, but I enjoy you site and vicariously all your cooking!
    I feel strongly enough to comment since I was very lucky to catch my cancer very early and had to have syrgery but they are saying there are no signs of spreading due to the early catch. I am not that good at keeping up with my annuals but I shall be from now on. Actually now I have quarterlies for a while. And I will no longer be so chicken about mammograms and a colonoscopy (still have that to look forward to). Hope all goes well for you all healthwise.