Sad News – Roscoe

The first sound I hear when I awake each morning is little Roscoe crowing.  I hadn’t even though about not hearing him til I went out to let the chickens out and discovered LOTS of white feathers in the chicken run.  About dusk every evening, Roscoe would fly up into a tree just over the chicken run and as soon as it got daylight, he would fly down to the ground but this morning . . only feathers and no Roscoe.

It was probably an owl.  I’m wondering is Miss Hattie is going to notice he’s gone.  The red pecking chicken, Sally, sleeps out too but she’s still here this morning.

Yes, I cried a few tears over losing Roscoe.  I will miss my beautiful, sweet rooster.

Roscoe

Comments

Sandy G says

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news, Judy. Your blog-readers will miss all those amusing Roscoe stories.

Mary in VA says

I am so sorry to hear about Roscoe. I know he was a favorite. I always enjoyed hearing about his antics. Maybe now Ms. Hattie will decide to stay safe at home in the run.

Darla says

So sorry to hear this ,Judy.
    In my experience with chicken predators, they will keep coming back. Double check your pens for any little opening where something can get in ….try to convince everyone to stay inside!

Myra McFarland says

So sorry about the loss of Rosco. I had Bantam roosters as pets when I was a child and love to read your chicken stories.

Mary Carter says

I’m sorry to hear this. I will miss his adventures. I wonder what made him decide to roost in the tree. I had chickens as a child but they were not pets nor did they have names. I now know what I missed.

So sorry about Roscoe. We used to have owls that would pick off the chicks when I was a kid. I’ll miss hearing about his adventures, it always reminded me of home.

Anne says

I’m so sorry about Roscoe. I loved hearing about him, all your followers will miss him. Godspeed Roscoe, you were a good Rooster.

Sandra Neel Hutchins says

It can be said of Roscoe, “Live hard, die young, and leave a beautiful memory.” RIP little man.

I am so sorry to hear about Roscoe. As others have said, I loved hearing about his escapades. I hope all your other chickens can stay safe.

RIP Roscoe

Helen Keonig1 says

I’m so sorry to hear this. I know we will all miss hearing your stories about him. How is Miss Hattie doing?

Judy, I’m sorry to read about Roscoe. How do hens react to the introduction of a new rooster? [I don't know anything about chicken-raising.]

Robin Crittenden says

I am so sad to hear this news. I will miss hearing about his escapades. He was a beautiful rooster. I know you will miss him.

Oh so sorry. Roscoe has always reminded me of a character in a children’s story… So much personality and most dashing! Perhaps one of your chicks might be his? Hopefully, one will grow up to like his Pappy.

Donna in KS says

Sad to read this news. I will miss him. Yeah, having raised three males, sometimes they just don’t do what we tell them is best for them!

Rosalie says

Sad news….he had a short but adventurous life. Know that you will miss him and his crowing.

Patti says

Oh, Judy,

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. It feels to me that it is the same as if I’d lost one of my cats. I will miss reading of Roscoe. I can. only think that his passing was quick or else you would have heard him. Hopefully you will have only wonderful memories. Best of luck with the Roscoe babies. Maybe each of them could have Roscoe as a middle name in his memory!

Suzy from Ontario says

Oh poor Roscoe! I’m going to miss hearing about his love affair with Miss Hattie. He was such a sweet little guy, sharing his kale and following his love around. What a character he was! :-(

Tam says

Roscoe must have fought valiantly as evidenced by all the feathers laying in the run. He was truly “cock of the walk.” I will miss him too.

Pam Gonzalez says

I’m so sorry about ROSCOE. I LOVED HEARING ABOUT HIS ADVENTURES. He’s having more adventures way up above us now. RIP.

Joanna says

So sorry to hear about your loss of Roscoe! I loved the stories about him. Also love the way he strutted his handsome stuff!
    Joanna