Well, the first quarter for the Stars & Stripes project was really done the last quarter of 2012. I’m up to date!
I actually got both the horizontal flags done but one didn’t make up on the wall for the picture so I guess you could say I’m a bit ahead!
I’m so out of my element doing these applique pieces. For the eagle, I cut the background rectangle larger than it needed to be. I positioned all my pieces, ironed them down, then trimmed the background and . . I know . . you’re laughing because you know what I did. I trimmed off half of the top three pennies/circles at the top. I had to pull off all the pieces, move them down to my now exactly correct sized background rectangle; make three more pennies, re-measure everything to get it all where it needed to be. Ughh! I always knew simple piecing is so much easier.
For now I’m just pressing all the pieces down and not doing the stitching. When I get everything done, I’ll go back and do the blanket stitch by machine, then sew the blocks together. In my head, I think I’m saving time by not having to change threads so often but that’s going to leave me with a whole bunch of applique to do and you know that will probably be a big brick wall for me.