Back to Square One Mystery Clue #1

Edit:  There is a “Print Friendly” button at the bottom of every post!

The much awaited Back to Square One Mystery Medallion begins today with Clue #1.

Here’s what we’ll do in January!

Step 1:

Fabrics 2 & 4:
Cut 2 – 9-1/4″ squares from each fabric.  Cut those on the diagonal twice so that you have 8 triangles of each fabric.

Using those triangles, make 4 of each of these units. Note the fabric placement so that you end up two sets of 4 – one set being reversed.

Step 2:

Fabrics 1 and 5:
Cut 1 – 9-1/4″ square.  Cut it on the diagonal twice so that you have 4 triangles of each fabric.

Sew those together to make 4 half square triangles:

Step 3:

Fabric 1 – Cut 2 – 9-1/4″ squares.  Cut these on the diagonal twice so that you have a total of 8 triangles.

Sew these triangles to the sides of the half square triangles made in Step 2, as shown below.

Step 4:

Fabric 1, cut 2 – 4-7/8″ squares.  Cut these on the diagonal once so you end up with 4 triangles.

Fabric 4, cut 2 – 5-1/4″ squares.  Cut these on the diagonal twice so you have 8 triangles.

Using these fabrics, make 4 flying geese:

That’s it for this month.  Get all these pieces made and take a picture of them for the link box for February 1.

Comments

Yeaaah….so excited ! Starting right now!

Judy, I missed the post about the fabric requirements for the mystery……..it doesn’t come up when I search. Sorry for the bother. The mystery looks like fun!

sao in Midlothian, VA

Judy, if Back to Square One is another name for the Medallion Mystery then I have the fabric requirements.

HAPPY 2013
    sao in Midlothian, VA

Happy New Year this is starting off kind of exciting…..

Gail Sheppard says:

I’ve been away over the holidays – with no internet connections. I must have missed that you were doing a mystery.
    I’m IN!!!! LOVE mysteries!
    However, I can’t find the fabric requirements.

Laceflower says:

for us A types, how about the finished size of these pieces?

• 8

I am not posting the finished sizes because they are weird sizes and will cause more confusion. Please carefully cut your pieces, use 1/4″ seam allowances and everything will fit just fine.

sandra collins says:

I too love mystery looking forward to doing this one.Have loved your work you ladys are so talentsed.Please keep it up

Please put what the finished size of each unit is supposed to be. That way if we accidentally do it wrong, it won’t be a month before we figure it out.

Thanks! Gail

ready to go, Can’t wait to see the finished quilt. I also love mysteries. I am choosing purple as my color. Thanks for sharing. Dana

Mel Meister says:

Hi Judy,

Are you going to make pdf files out of the instructions?

Thanks!

Mel

I, too, would like the finished sizes of the units. My fabric from Vicki is gorgeous.

can’t wait to get started! i’m adding the “extra” challenge to myself to only use stash. i don’ t know if i should be happy, or embarrased that i have almost enough to do this quilt without buying more fabric! could you please make this into a printer freindly version? thanks SO MUCH for doing this for us!

I’m going to go buy fabric for this tomorrow. I can’t wiat. This is going to be my first mystery ever.

Hi, Is thre a pdf for this quilt? Thanks.. Kumiko

I got this months done and have a picture but I’m not seeing the link to be able to share it. How do you do that?

Irene in NC says:

I am done with this month’s tasks and it’s not even the 15th yet – now I don’t have an excuse anymore not to work on my UFO’s!

Viki Kirby says:

I have read everything on this post several times and still see no Printer Friendly button. Also, the Next page button does not work so maybe the button is there but I can’t get to it.

Finished my cutting…do we wait till the end of the month to post? Thank you