What’s Cooking – Week 2, 2013

The ingredient for this week is:

Spinach

Don’t be saying that you don’t like spinach!  You remember what a challenge is, don’t you?  It’s to disguise something and make it look and taste like something else so that you can’t wait to have it again.  Well, that’s my definition anyway.

Use fresh, frozen, canned — whatever you want to try.

If you made a carrot dish, please share a link to a blog post that includes your recipe.  Thanks!

Comments

Margery Allcock says

How about Eggs Florentine? I do mine in the microwave, but you could do it another way. It’s a pretty light snack. I’ll say quantities for 2, but you can do the sums for other numbers.
    Thaw enough frozen chopped spinach for 2 people, then share it out between 2 individual bowls and make it into a nest shape in each bowl. Crack an egg into each nest, and microwave until the eggs begin to set. Sprinkle with grated cheese and microwave a bit more until the cheese is melted – the eggs shoul be done by now. That’s it – easy!
    Non-microwave method: while the spinach is thawing, poach 2 eggs lightly. Make spinach nests in individual bowls, and drop a poached egg in each one. Sprinkle with grated cheese and grill (UK term for broil, maybe – top heat only) until the cheese melts and browns a little.

All done – we like it, and DH never used to like spinach .

SarahB says

I love spinach! I have it every single day in a salad….. but not my kids! For them I have to cook creatively with it; one of their favorites? Ham, spinach and tomato quiche with a shredded cheddar cheese crust. I can trust them to eat every single crumb of it!

I learned to make Spanakopita from my sister-in-law’s mother. Love it. However, I can’t get my husband to eat it. and it’s just not worth the effort for one (not to mention the tons of leftovers), I’ll eat it raw on sandwiches and salads. I’m not sure how I could hide it to get my husband to eat it.

Gwen says

I love fresh spinach in salads and on sandwiches! Not a big fan of it or any other boiled green. Too many cooked to death ones as a child! I do like spinach cooked in a variety of other dishes. My favorite casserole recipe has chopped spinach as a main ingredient. Only problem is the recipe makes 2 full 9X13casserole dishes. Thank goodness it freezes well with only two to cook for most of the time! Guess it is time to cook up another batch and enjoy!

I never disguise it, but that’s because I like it. Raw, sautéed, or handfuls thrown into soup to up the vitamin/nutrient content. I’m having sautéed onions, mushrooms, and spinach for lunch with a generous sprinkling of pecorino romano cheese. Yum!

June Piper-Brandon says

I made spinach balls as an appetizer for New Year’s Eve. They were really good and I have a bag full left over that I put in the freezer to have one day when my quilting ladies come over for our Friday morning Stitch Witches meeting.

Kat Williams says

It has nothing to do with cooking, but I think it was very clever of you to write the word Spinach in green!

Hen says

Oh my! I am totally addicted to Spinich Green Smoothie. There is no spinich taste.
    1 cup vanilla yogurt
    1cup rice milk (or substitute almond milk or dairy milk)
    1 Tbl peanut butter
    1 frozen banana (peel and slice before freezing)
    3-4 big handfuls of fresh Spnich (I even stick bags of spinich in the freezee, makes thicker shake)
    This is amazing. You can always omit peanut butter, and I have also used peaches instead of bananas as well as strawberry yogurt with the bananas and pineapples. Mix it up however you like. Makes a super breakfeast or after workout drink. No child would ever know it is spinich, I promise!

Megan says

YUM YUM YUM. No blog but I made carrot salad ala MOM last week. Shredded carrots with raisins and pineapple. The dressing was a little bit of mayo and orange juice mixed together. I haven’t had it in 20 years and it was GOOD. Tonight I am making Spinach Rollups because I have all the ingredients.

1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
    1 egg
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese with vegetables
    1 cup feta cheese
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and squeezed very dry
    9 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
    Preheat to 375F degrees.
    Combine all ingredients except dough until well blended.
    Work with one sheet of phyllo at a time and keep the waiting sheets covered with a damp paper towel or plastic wrap, etc — to keep from drying out.
    Brush one sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter or spray with cooking spray- butter flavored is best.
    Repeat process stacking the newly buttered/sprayed sheets on top of the other until you have three sheets buttered/sprayed stacked together.
    Spread one third of spinach mixture along one short side of the dough.
    Fold the sides in about 1 or 2 inches to keep filling inside and roll up to make a log shape.
    Repeat method using the remaining dough and filling to make two more logs.
    Spray or butter tops of logs and score diagonally at 1 nch intervals to keep dough from cracking.
    Place logs on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
    Place on cutting board and cut each log into 10 slices with a serrated knife.
    Note: You can freeze uncooked logs for later use. When ready to serve, remove 10 minutes before baking and then follow baking directions.