Spinach Meat Loaf

This is my recipe but it’s not really a very good recipe because I don’t measure anything.  I’ll do the best I can but use your own judgment, ok?

First, I mix up the meat mixture just like for any other meatloaf.  Put in whatever you usually put in.  I added seasoned salt, black pepper, jalapeno powder, onion powder, chopped garlic and bread crumbs soaked in milk.  I used two pounds of meat so I got enough for two loaves — one for the freezer — yay!!

Meat Loaf Filling

For the filling, mix 2 eggs, 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 10 oz. of spinach.  If using frozen spinach, squeeze as much water out of it as you can.

Mix all the filling ingredients.  There are two ways to get this in the middle of the meatloaf.  The recipe I used forever suggesting mashing the meat mixture out into a rectangle, spreading the filling . .

. . . and rolling it up like a jelly roll.

Rolled Meat Loaf

The much easier method is to put about half of the meat into the loaf pan.  Make a well down the middle, with the sides higher than the middle.

Filling

Pat out the remaining meat into a shape that will fit over the mixture in the pan.  If you put it on top of the cheese mixture and try to mash it out to spread it, all the cheese will mash out.  Shape the top and then lift it and place it over the mixture in the pan.

Two Meat Loaves

Two!  One for tonight and one for the freezer!

For the one for tonight, I baked it at 375º for about an hour.  Once it’s done, I put cheese on top, put that back in the oven and let the cheese melt.  Any topping could be added.  One I often use is ketchup, brown sugar, a bit of cider vinegar and mustard.  Leftover pizza sauce or marinara sauce could be used.

Dinner is Served

Comments

Oh, that looks delicious!

Marilyn Smith says:

That looks good. I have been buying a meat loaf mixture from the butcher…and adding to it. This looks really good. DH loves meat oaf sandwiches. Sliced paper thin. Ugh, that is tough slicing meatloaf paper thin. But, I am going to try this recipe. I love having one in the freezer when I don’t want to cook. I only have a bottom freezer in a french door fridge. No extra freezer space.

kimpaventy says:

That looks really good, I’ll “pin it” and give it a try.

Uh, sorry, I don’t do meatloaf. HA!! My DH loved meatloaf but it was always little more than dogfood to me so I never made it. After his 1st surgery, our Sunday School class brought meals and many brought meatloaf (sometimes they even brought something different for me, wasn’t that sweet?). If I could have him back again, I’d make him meatloaf every day if he wanted. :-(

Debbie Rhodes says:

looks yummy to me.. but DH would not eat it..

Natalie L says:

It’s almost 10:20pm and this pregnant lady is now CRAVING this meatloaf hardcore! Oh my gosh, I need to make this tomorrow!!!

Sounds good thanks. Boy was I surprised when I picked up my copy of quilt sampler mag today. Beautiful quilt pattern by YOU. Wonderful I’ll have to make it.

This looks fabulous, can’t wait to try it!

Diana in RR Texas says:

Looks yummy, will give it a try. I still haven’t tracked down the meat loaf recipe I was telling you about. May have to email my aunt to get it again!

Brandy M. says:

Oh dang – that looks GREAT! The recipe we use has everything all mashed up together. I’m going to try it your way next time because it just looks so delish. Thanks for sharing!

BLM :)

I think that looks great! I think Iwill have to try it too!

That looks yummy! I like stuffed meatloaf – and I like most anything with melted cheese on top too! Cheers! Evelyn

I’m not a meatloaf fan usually but this looks so good I think I could be converted.

Meat Loaf is on the menu for next week so I think I’ll be trying this recipe. Thanks for this challenge, it’s got me back in the kitchen.