Sunday morning we had French toast and bacon for breakfast. I stirred up a batch of bread dough as soon as we finished breakfast and figured I’d leave it in the bowl rising for an hour or so, then knead it again and put it in the pan to rise and we’d have fresh bread for lunch.
The hour or so turned into about 3 or 4 hours because I went out in the garden and was working. When I came into the house with a bag full of carrots and beets and lettuce and kale, I thought . . hmmm . . smells like fresh bread in here. That’s when I realized the dough that should have been rising for one hour and been rising way too long.
I went ahead and kneaded it again and put it in the bread pan, figuring I’d let it rise about an hour. That was about noon. The next time I came in the house was about 4 p.m. and the dough had risen way too high.
I wasn’t quite sure how it would turn out. I didn’t know if it would collapse as soon as I put it in the oven. It did not. I wasn’t sure how it would taste but it’s fine.
The bread that was stirred up at breakfast and was supposed to be ready for lunch was ready for dinner. It’s way too tall for the toaster though. We have to put it in and toast the bottom half, the flip it over and toast the top half!
You know now why I write myself so many notes!