Stash Report – Week 42, 2014

Nothing in but I did use something. I used Minkee for the back of the quilt for Nicole’s friend and combined with the binding fabric, I used 1-1/2 yards!

Used this Week: 1.5 yards
Used year to Date: 73.5 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net: 73.5 yards used

Greenhouse Maybe

For three years I’ve been asking for a greenhouse. For 8 months, a Mueller Steel Building greenhouse kit for a 12′ x 18′ greenhouse has been sitting under the implement shed. It was too hot to work (according to Vince and his building buddy) but they promised they’d get started once it got cooler. I guess the unanswered question was . . how much cooler does it have to get? I’ve seriously been hounding Vince about getting it done and now that the fresh tomatoes from the garden have ended, and he’s lamenting that homegrown goodness, I keep saying “If I had a greenhouse . . we would have fresh tomatoes all year!”

This morning we got the corners all marked off and I think sometime soon, I just might have a greenhouse.

Corner Posts

Corner Posts

Vince has a friend who’s an electrician so he’s coming tomorrow to run power to the greenhouse and the new chicken coop. Vince is out digging the footer for the greenhouse now, and he’s already finished digging the trench for the electric line.  We won’t need a whole lot of heat out there but we’ll need some. We’ll have propane for the heat, or he may use a rocket stove type setup if we have several days of cold like we did last winter. We’ll use electricity for the big fans and lighting out there . . though I’m not quite sure why he thinks we need lighting as I don’t plan to be out there after dark!

The concrete guy is supposed to come to pour the footers (or whatever you call it) and then the guys will commence to building the greenhouse!

Electric Line Trench

Electric Line Trench

The new coop has never had electricity run to it so the electrician will fix that all up tomorrow too. Vince dug that trench and every time I see how good our dirt is and I think how bad most of the dirt is in this area, I want to do a happy dance. We had a whole list of things we wanted when we bought a house here and good dirt was not even on the list but with all the things we do and grow, having good dirt is such a blessing. Most of the dirt around here is just bad dirt and so fully of rocks that it would be almost impossible to clean out a spot big enough to have a decent garden.

Progress . . slowly but surely, we’re making progress. I think I’m going to go out and plant a few tomato plants in cups and then, if the greenhouse does get finished, I could have fresh, home grown tomatoes in January or February!

 

The Quilting Assistant

The giraffe quilt is finished and on its way to Nicole. It will be a gift for a baby shower for a friend of the theirs. The new dad has been Chad’s hunting and fishing buddy almost since we first moved to MO. If you remember the quilt I made for the guy who helped Chad when his truck broke down in Kansas City (can’t believe it’s been over 2 years ago!), he is the new mom’s dad. Since the quilt is going to someone else, I preferred that it not be covered in cat hair. I had my spray bottle and sprayed Boots a few times but he wouldn’t stay off the quilt so I put him in Rita’s big crate. After a while, I thought maybe he had learned his lesson and let him out.

Boots and the Quilt

Boots and the Quilt

I went to check on Rita and when I came back, the lump hanging from the quilt on the longarm told me there might be a big furry kitty in the middle of the quilt!

Boots

Boots

He’s trying to pretend he doesn’t see me and my squirt bottle!

Boots

Boots

He was so comfortable, I hated making him move but it was back to the crate til I finished the quilt and then tried to get all the cat hair off it before binding it and packing it up to mail.

Boots is such a good helper in the sewing room!  :)