When designing my quilts, sometimes the border design falls into place and the border design is clear to me before the whole top is designed. If I audition two or three borders and none of those suit me, I know there’s going to be a border struggle. Often, when I make a quilt that I just LOVE, those are the ones I have the hardest time choosing the appropriate border. With Nicole’s quilt, there’s been about a three day border struggle. There are 28 versions of borders for her quilt. It will be a few days (or weeks) before I get to the borders so, no doubt, there will be more borders.
For now, here are the ones that were considered.
This is the first one that I thought would work but the more I looked at it, the border blocks are too small and too scrunched together looking for my preferences.
Trying to extend the shape of the bear’s paw blocks out into the border, I thought about this one:
Something about it bugs me. I think it’s because the center of the quilt has more open spaces and the the colored parts of the border are packed too closely.
Looking for a more open border, I tried the vine.
That one seemed like it needed more color. I liked the open look but thought more of the color needed to extend out into the border. I tried making the “vine” scrappy, using the colors in the center but the flow of the vine was lost.
Next is a design that’s in the 60 Pieced Quilt Borders book.
For now, I think this is the border I will use but . . I can always change my mind if I come up with something else.