It’s a good thing I started this one a size or two larger than she needed. This one was started in March, 2016. Here she is trying it on when I was there in the summer of 2016.
Yes, she was trying the sweater on under duress. For some reason, she did not want to try it on. She kept saying “You already made me a striped sweater!” . . talking about this one, which I made . . start to finish . . in 6 days. Figure that one out — one took 6 days, one is taking 18+ months!
The first striped one is a size 5-6 and the second one is a size 8. She may be able to wear them both this winter but by next winter, the first one will no longer fit . . try explaining that to her when she was determined she didn’t need another striped sweater. Funny girl.
So . . why did it take me 1-1/2 years to make this sweater? I have no idea but I guess I shouldn’t try to answer that question since I still haven’t finished it but I’m getting closer.
The second sleeve is now halfway finished. I have to seam up the two sleeves, add the button band, find buttons, block and it will be done!
This pattern wasn’t difficult but it was a bit different. The chevron design definitely wasn’t hard but when I put it down for 6 months or longer, it was always hard to figure out where I left off and how to get going again.
Here’s a funny story . . the sleeves were separated in the middle of the orange row. Each chevron has 6 rows. When I got back to the second sleeve, after at least 10 months of sitting, I could not figure out how to not have 7 rows! I had to end on a purl (wrong side) row or the next black row would be wrong but I had 6 rows already after doing the last right side row on that first orange section. I could not figure it out so I finally decided no one would notice that one chevron set had 7 rows. I was all the way down to being finished with the 2nd chevron (pink) set and I remembered that I had the same problem with the first sleeve. I counted . . 6 rows. How did I make that work? I looked at the 7 row set and figured it wasn’t too noticeable. I did the next yellow set. I showed it to Vince. Right off the bat, he said “that peach section is bigger than the rest!” Well, heck! I kept thinking about it and remembered that instead of turning and doing the wrong side row on that first orange section, I had slid the needles back and had gone from doing row 6 (right side row), skipped the wrong side row, and picked up with the first black row also being a right side row. It would have been basically the same as knitting in the round. It worked because I was adding a second yarn. In other words, I ended the first orange section on the right side of the sleeve, cut the yarn, added the black yarn and began knitting on the left side.
Probably only something a knitter would understand . . and with my description, probably not even a knitter gets what I’m saying. What matters is . . I had to rip back about 20 rows and start over but I’m happy to say that the first peach section has 6 rows .. which it’s supposed to have.
The pattern is Mim’s Chevrons. The yarn is Madelinetosh DK Twist. I had several mini skein kits and added a skein of graphite.