The pink jacket is finished! It’s a perfect fit. The zipper was easy. I absolutely love this lightweight hooded jacket. This is absolutely as close to perfect as anything I’ve ever made. The pattern was so easy to follow and it’s a quick knit. Nothing fancy – just lots of stockinette. The pattern has not been released yet but I will let post here when it is available. It will include children’s sizes from size 2, all the way up through men’s size 50″.
The yarn is Malabrigo Rios, which I also love. The color is English Rose, which I also love. I’ve decided that from here on, when I need worsted weight, it will be Rios. It doesn’t fade. I love knitting with it. I love the stitch definition. I love Malabrigo’s colors but, really . . will I ever need another color besides English Rose? 🙂
I’m sure that mine will be worn almost exclusively open. The pink on the zipper doesn’t show and since I’ll be wearing a white or pink shirt under it, I’m not concerned that I used the lighter zipper.
The icing on the cake . . it has a hood! What a great design! I love it . . did I already say that? 🙂
Installing the Zipper
The zipper was not hard to get in. I was dreading it! I even contemplated putting buttonholes and buttons or some kind of toggle buttons but I’m glad I went with the zipper.
Someone had asked the other day for me to please explain how to put a zipper in. This is the first time I’ve done it! I’ll tell you how I did it but you may not want to take my word for it. There are lots of youtube videos out there. I watched several til I was confident I could do it correctly.
First, I pinned the zipper in (shown below), being careful not to stretch the sweater. The I-Cord bind off helped tremendously.
After I was sure I had it in so that nothing was stretched out of shape, I tried it on me, then put it on the dress form so I could look at it from afar. I was happy with it.
I’m not sure you can see it but the I-cord bind off left a rolled edge of sorts.
To sew the zipper in, I pulled the rolled edge towards the zipper’s teeth and hand stitched through the “ditch”. When I let go of the rolled edge I was pulling away, it went back to cover the ditch so none of the stitching shows.
Now . . I’ll get busy and get the shawl finished by the weekend and then I’ll have all my test knits finished.