Just as a reminder: PFTR = ponderings from the recliner and these are posted on Sunday and written by Vince.
I had many big plans last week, but my old shoulder didn’t get the message. I don’t know exactly when I hurt it, but by the end of the week the pain was pretty intense. I still managed to get a few things done but a good bit of rest is going to be in the plan for this week. In fact, as I am writing this, I have a heating pad on my shoulder.
Learning and Sharing
There were a couple of things I focused on this week. One was a continuation of learning calligraphy and better cursive writing and the second was getting the parts necessary to automate the chicken coop doors. After I get past my neophyte stage (practicing with pencils and markers), I hope to graduate to ink dip pens. The best part is, I will be able to turn my own nib holders. Turning the wood should be fairly easy. The part I have to learn is how to bend the metal flange which inserts into the bottom of the pen and holds the nib. I ordered a couple of special tools and the metal to make the flanges. Now all I have to do is dig out my lathe, bandsaw and belt sander, set them up and get turning. Of course the old shoulder has to cooperate.
The other thing I researched was automating the opening and closing of the chicken coop doors. I watched a number of youtube videos and decided I would try to use an automobile antenna as the moving mechanism. This was the lowest cost alternative. However, looking at the design of my coops, I didn’t see an easy way to install the antennas because I didn’t have enough clearance above the doors. I could make it work but it would end up being a major deconstruction/reconstruction project. Realizing my time had value, I did some further research and found what’s called a linear actuator. They cost a lot more than an antenna but they would fit the available space. In the long run, I am sure I will be happy with this decision. I will let you know how it goes once all the parts arrive. Maybe I can even get Judy to make a video of it working.
There was lots of yard work last week. Cutting grass, weedeating, watering trees, moving plants around and bush hogging dominated the activities. The hard part was cutting all those beautiful wildflowers. I had to get the place looking good for Judy’s return. Work continued on the pipe fence. I did finally finish the painting except for the gate itself. That was put on hold until I heal up a bit. I think it was all that work on the fence that took my shoulder over the edge.
I did practice a bit on my writing and started to learn the calligraphy strokes. There’s not too much to share yet, but I will down the road a bit.
Minimizing took a back seat to all the other activities this week. There was so much to do outside while the weather was nice, I hated to be cooped up in four walls digging through stuff. That all changed on Saturday, when the thunderstorms arrived. I was able to get through a few boxes and I also need to find some electronic parts for the chicken door project.
That’s about it for last week. Hopefully, a few days (and not weeks) of rest will allow me to have a fuller agenda this week.