This post is about documenting and calculating my way to the end of Eat, Sleep, Knit‘s 2019 Yarnathon. Every year I say I’m not going to participate but I can’t help myself. I love the . . not so much the competition but just striving to reach the goal and meet the deadline.
I have another road trip coming up and I’m trying to plan my knitting to take advantage of those remaining points I need. I would love to have all the points I need for this year by the end of the second quarter but I doubt that happens.
In previous years, we’ve needed 30 stars to reach MVP status (and a prize!). This year, we need 60 stars. I think I’ve calculated my way to those 60 starts. I still need 185 points and if I complete the following items, I should be there. This is very do-able. In fact, I can see how it could be done by the end of the second quarter but probably more likely by the end of the third quarter.
- 10 points – First Edition. This is something on the oldest shelf of your Ravelry library. I will make CashSilk Fern Scarf, which is a pattern I added in 2013 and it is on the oldest shelf of my library. I will use Sweet Georgia CashSilk lace, which will also earn the Silk Sweetheart badge for using something more than 50% silk.
- 20 – Silk Sweetheart. Mentioned above.
- 20 – Advent-ageous. Use an Advent kit. I have the Advent-urer Scarf about half finished.
- 20 – Cross Contamination. Use yarn from three different dyers. I’m doing this in my So Faded Sweater.
- 20 – Double Vision. I’m about 75% finished with my Skogafjall sweater and I’m making one for Vince for the 4th Quarter KAL. This will also qualify for Three’s Company, where you use three colorways in a project.
- 10 – Three’s Company. See above.
- 20 – Feel the Breeze. Tegna earns this badge. It’s started and will be one of my next road trip projects. This also qualifies for the Calculator badge because the yarn I’m using is sport weight. I had to swatch, then go down a size to get the right fit because the pattern suggests fingering weight yarn.
- 10 – Calculator. See above.
- 20 – KAL Queen. Knit all four quarterly knit alongs.
- 10 – Special Delivery. Order yarn on your birthday! Definitely will happen.
- 20 – Spin to Win. I have the fiber . . just need to spin 300 yards of yarn.
- 5 – Diets are Bad. Break a yarn diet. I don’t plan to order yarn til my birthday.
- 5 – High Turnover. Cast on a project the same day the yarn arrives. That happens pretty often.
Those add up to 190 points (I need 185) and there will be additional badges available at the beginning of the third and fourth quarters so . . I am at the point where I can comfortably sit and knit and not have to keep planning my strategy!