You know I was not overly thrilled with the thought of camping in a tent on our upcoming trip. I could see Addie getting more and more excited about it and before long, I was getting excited too, though I dreaded the bigs and possibly snakes in the bath house.
Yesterday we got out the sleeping bad that I would use to see if it needed to be washed. Chad assured me that it had been washed before he put it away because he has a new sleeping bag. I sniffed it and searched for bugs and decided it was fine.
All of us had been watching the weather and knew there was potential for thunderstorms the day we were to leave. There’s not a whole lot worse than trying to take down a tent (two tents this time!) in the rain. At one point, the weather said “dangerous thunderstorms”. We all decided we would wait til yesterday and make a decision. By yesterday afternoon, it was obvious that there was going to be a chance of a thunderstorm during the early morning on our last day. Chad called the campground just to see what they were saying . . and the campground has been closed because of flooding. They said they were hoping to re-open this weekend but there was more rain predicted so we would have to be ready to leave in a moment’s notice. There are several places where water flows across a low water crossing even when there’s not flooding. I was there once when the park ranger came by in the middle of the night and made us leave . . NOW! They said “Be out of here in half an hour.” We were and I don’t want to do that again.
We decided to rent a cabin so . . a cabin has been rented. It’s air conditioned, inside toilet and shower, full kitchen, swimming pool. There’s a fire pit so we can make s’mores and roast wieners for hot dogs.
It will be a fun trip. We will make memories. I will not have to figure out how to get off the ground just to get out of bed and if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, it will be somewhere very close to my bedroom. Mother Nature, thank you! 🙂