Most weeks, a topic easily comes to mind that I feel like sharing with you. This week my mind, seemed to wonder all over the place. I would start thinking about one thing and, before I knew it, I was on a totally different topic. I usually read or experience something that gets me thinking in a particular direction and then I research it in more detail before putting pen to paper, so to speak.
I guess since we just celebrated the 4th of July, the topic that kept popping into my head is freedom. The term is used all the time, especially around this time of year and when elections are on the horizon. But what is freedom and how many of us really experience it? Even more importantly, when we do have freedom, how many of us make the best use of it?
As I surfed the internet, looking for interesting posts about freedom, I ran across a person named Virginia Satir. I’m sorry to say that Ms. Satir is no longer with us but she did leave an important legacy. You can read a bit about Ms. Satir at this website.
I really like the following quote by Ms. Satir: “I want you to get excited about who you are, what you are, what you have, and what can still be for you. I want to inspire you to see that you can go far beyond where you are right now.” But her work that really hit a nerve with me is her list of five freedoms which are as follows:
- The freedom to see and hear what is here, instead of what “should” be, was, or will be.
- The freedom to say what you feel and think, instead of what you “should” feel and think.
- The freedom to feel what you feel, instead of what you “ought” to feel.
- The freedom to ask for what you want, instead of always waiting for permission.
- The freedom to take risks on you own behalf, instead of choosing to be only “secure”.
Again, ask yourself, how many of these freedoms, which are available to me, do I experience? How many of these freedoms are you afraid of taking advantage of because of the fear of being branded? Finally, ask yourself, If you are afraid of expressing your freedoms, are you truly free???